Options to carry a 5 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sixmile

Veteran
I have been taking the kids out on my bike for the last 3 or so years. I have a Hamax Kiss rear seat, a Halfords rear seat and also a Croozer Kid for 2 Trailer. My eldest daughter is 5 this year and she is just over the 20kg max that the Hamax seat recommends.

I have been upping my commuting from home but some mornings, after my wife has done a nightshift, I have to take my eldest to school. It's 3.5miles and normally the last 3/4mile is bumper to bumper traffic. When possible, I'll put my bike on the roof, drive to drop her off at school, park a few miles up the road and then cycle the rest.

I have been thinking of my options to drop her to school without the car. It's a hilly enough 3 or so miles and the first mile is not a good road, so her riding from home isn't feasible yet. The Hamax seat might be ok for a month or so to drop her off, but I fear for the suspension bars that attach her seat to the frame. She's already above the 20kg so our time is almost up with this I reckon. I wouldn't be happy leaving the trailer at her school and couldn't drag it empty the 15 miles to work.

So it has led me to considering something to take her weight like this:
https://www.athleteshop.co.uk/gmg-a...metvoetsteun?gclid=CL3SrMPVo9ICFcS77QodwgQA4g
It's expensive enough and I see that a separate rack is needed so does anyone else have experience with seats for this age group? What else is out there?

U

User169

I've got one of these..

https://en.hollandbikeshop.com/bicy...dle-on-frame-tube-mens-bike-complete-model-2/

Supposedly good for up to 40kg, although the downside is you have to ride with your legs splayed out which can get a bit uncomfotable. My commute is at most 2km and flat, so not sure if it would be suitable for you.

On other bikes, we've always had seats on racks.

tatr

What about a trailgator tow-bar and lock her bike up at school?

Loads of kids bikes and trailers locked up around here all day. Seems to be fine even in this fairly rough bit of South London.

Beware of police being dicks though.

http://road.cc/content/news/41827-f...ild-bike-although-it-doesnt-seem-he-broke-law

Though it's possible that he just failed the attitude test.

I'd love to find a good solution for my three year old. I'm reticent to have her behind me because enough drivers around here seem utterly perplexed on how to pass cyclists, I'd rather me be the crumple zone rather than her.

Personally I would have gone down the "adapted" route and asked Halfords for the evidence

These are always difficult as only you know your child

At this stage they would learn a lot from s trailer bike as you can use the journeys to teach them signalling and basic road craft

Research does show that drivers ten to act more responsibly around children, and I know that does not eliminate loonies, but I found s trailer bike was less hassle with drivers than riding solo

They look bloody brilliant, if I had the space I would buy one right now.

They are...

The smaller option is a Bakfiets, two wheels and hence narrower, but still not "small"
0.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Personally I would have gone down the "adapted" route and asked Halfords for the evidence
I seem to recall from one of the broadsheets at the time that the seat was a legitimate one, but the photo showed it attached to the bike with gaffa tape, so it was the manner of installation rather than the device itself.

I suspect he talked himself out of a telling off , and his mouth went for the full ticket. Ripping up an FPN (and then being fingered for littering) is hardly the act of someone behaving reasonably and rationally.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
My vote is a tag-along/ TrailGator. It is what I used with my 4 year old until he was sufficiently skilled enough to ride decoupled when he was 5.

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
Yea, since I think I'm going with the trailgator option. I've been having a look at them recently and think that's the most cost effective option and plus she's very keen to be independent too so that'll allow her to build up her strength.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Tagalong is a good option, and it's no bother leaving it on riding it empty if you want.
I've got an old Trek Mountain Train which is great. You can still fit panniers to your bike, as long as there's nothing sticking too far out of the top.
Just make sure you have mudguards, else she'll get a facefull of muddy water if it's damp out.

Tag-a-long.jpg

I seem to recall from one of the broadsheets at the time that the seat was a legitimate one, but the photo showed it attached to the bike with gaffa tape, so it was the manner of installation rather than the device itself.

I suspect he talked himself out of a telling off , and his mouth went for the full ticket. Ripping up an FPN (and then being fingered for littering) is hardly the act of someone behaving reasonably and rationally.

It is the "expert opinion" that is the important part, and it works both ways.

If the adaptation is appropriate, serviceable and complies with law than it will provide evidence to support your case
However if the opposite is true then you will not get the evidence you need, but a chance that to rectify it and make it safe

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, if he could find an expert that would confirm that gaffa tape is sufficient to conform with the regs then I'd very much like to meet them. Conversely, the Feds will have several properly qualified expert witness vehicle examiners in house who will confirm it is not, explain the structural mechanisms behind it, and how that fails to satisfy the prevailing regs. I'm going SAR training tonight and one of the team is a VE, so I'll ask him for his thoughts on gaffe tape as a structural aid for con and use purposes.

What little we do known of his behaviour at the scene would suggest that he talked himself out of any likely opportunity to take sensible advice on board, and thus avoid having the ticket, much less actually going to Court. That's 2 opportunities to avoid Court, and he blew straight through them both.

Last edited:
Top Bottom