Options to carry a 5 year old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Beware of police being dicks though.

http://road.cc/content/news/41827-f...ild-bike-although-it-doesnt-seem-he-broke-law

Though it's possible that he just failed the attitude test.

I'd love to find a good solution for my three year old. I'm reticent to have her behind me because enough drivers around here seem utterly perplexed on how to pass cyclists, I'd rather me be the crumple zone rather than her.
I remember that one , he had taped a normal kiddie seat to the top tube afaik .

I remember that one , he had taped a normal kiddie seat to the top tube afaik .
Was curious, so followed the link back to the telegraph . It sounds like it was a proper child cycle seat that he had attached correctly then taped to be doubly sure. So it looks really bodgy, and I sympathise with a police officer who thought it was unsafe. As the father chose to plead guilty, it was never tested if that sort of seat was illegal or not.

ghulam_1985145c.jpg
a

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Was curious, so followed the link back to the telegraph . It sounds like it was a proper child cycle seat that he had attached correctly then taped to be doubly sure. So it looks really bodgy, and I sympathise with a police officer who thought it was unsafe. As the father chose to plead guilty, it was never tested if that sort of seat was illegal or not.

ghulam_1985145c.jpg
a
Hehe Helmets on backwards , looking at halfords they dont sell a child seat thats top tube mounted like that (anymore ) they only sell the ones with foot pegs etc . you might be right but looks to me to be a bodge job with a standard child bike seat , if the chap was in the right i think the ripping up of the ticket was the wrong way to go , liable to make dibble more suspicious .

Just an aged fwiw.

Back when I was using one, I'd have had no hesitation seconding the trailgator option. Used one for years .... the trick is to train the wee one to pedal when necessary; I loved feeling that wee kick as she "did her bit" to help Dad up a hill :laugh:. Aye, but that was 15 years ago, back in days when it was pretty normal to expect, AND GET, that little bit of extra courtesy and space you would hope for when you have a child in tow. There's still bits of Leeds where I'd have no hesitation - but that courtesy and space just ain't a given any more.

BUT ... there are parts of town and some roads where, now, I just wouldn't dare. It's not the "nose-to-tail" sections that would bother me - it's when the "nose-to-tail" breaks up, and the b*****s think they can see "open road" and "freedom". Or the fast rat-runs - no, no, no!

OP
OP
Sixmile

Sixmile

Veteran
I know what you're saying. I would carefully plan out my routes when I've the kids in a seat or have the trailer with me, trying to avoid anything close to a main road as best I can. From my experience though, cars do give a lot more space to me when I've the kids with me as opposed to when I'm on my own.

Dirtyhanz

Veteran
I used a burley piccolo they are great my little boy loved it i am a going to put it on the for sale boards soon as he as now out grown it if any one is interested in it it is in lovely condition great for long rides

Just an aged fwiw.

Back when I was using one, I'd have had no hesitation seconding the trailgator option. Used one for years .... the trick is to train the wee one to pedal when necessary; I loved feeling that wee kick as she "did her bit" to help Dad up a hill :laugh:. Aye, but that was 15 years ago, back in days when it was pretty normal to expect, AND GET, that little bit of extra courtesy and space you would hope for when you have a child in tow. There's still bits of Leeds where I'd have no hesitation - but that courtesy and space just ain't a given any more.

BUT ... there are parts of town and some roads where, now, I just wouldn't dare. It's not the "nose-to-tail" sections that would bother me - it's when the "nose-to-tail" breaks up, and the b*****s think they can see "open road" and "freedom". Or the fast rat-runs - no, no, no!

We had a tandem version - the Cresswell U+2

7bc3a63d03da753f6d81e72aff79b616.jpg

Two kids could easily power the whole rig and loved doing so

I LIKE that ^_^.

Unfortunately Cresswell sold out to Pashley who discontinued

Haven't been made the late 1990s

Very rare and very sought after.

I bought mine for £200, sold it four years later for £250 and the day after I sold it was offered £400 to renege on the original agreement

Top Bottom