Orange Clockwork Build

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Acekid

I thought I would add on here my last build I did for my daughter,

As soon as my daughter was getting to the age when she could finally ride a larger bike, I decided that I would build her something special and one off. Her only provision was that there had to be some purple on it!

So thanks to some contacts, i secured a early 90's Orange Clockwork frame in super small size!, basically a frameset (wheels put on for photos)
p-Jkb-L5cs-Spypskc-Saj-D9-A.jpg

34l-SZLYx-Sz-O-vmwu-Jr-Xq-Vw.jpg

So all stripped down, cleaned, new headset, retro deore LX groupset, even lx hubbed wheels, managed to secure some gorgeous retro tyres and Marzocchi forks. Got some new decals made up in purple, add in some anodized bling and here she is....
20190804-111232-resized.jpg

20190804-110901-resized.jpg

20190804-110849-resized.jpg

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Wow, talk about blingy.

T4tomo

Guru
Love it, and I'm sure she does. Excellent job there.:okay:

Btw, where did you source the front brake bridge doofer to hold the cable for the Canti brakes.
I reinstalled canti's on my partners cross bike. I have something that goes in the stem/headset spacers, but that looks like it might gives some more stability (it suffers from a bit brake judder). although as I type i'm thinking that is probably MTB specific to get around the the fact that suspension moves everything?

OP
OP
Acekid

Acekid

Love it, and I'm sure she does. Excellent job there.:okay:

Btw, where did you source the front brake bridge doofer to hold the cable for the Canti brakes.
I reinstalled canti's on my partners cross bike. I have something that goes in the stem/headset spacers, but that looks like it might gives some more stability (it suffers from a bit brake judder). although as I type i'm thinking that is probably MTB specific to get around the the fact that suspension moves everything?

I actually have a massive box full of various bits and bobs from many many years of bike tinkering, the cable straddle hanger is just one of a few I have, not specific for MTB, but is only used for the old school canti brakes.

T4tomo

Guru
I actually have a massive box full of various bits and bobs from many many years of bike tinkering, the cable straddle hanger is just one of a few I have, not specific for MTB, but is only used for the old school canti brakes.
I suspect if I found one it wouldn't work on rigid forks as it sets the canti mount posts inwards quite a bit. most canti's direct mount to forks anyway, its just that doesn't work with suspension as your cable tension goes as the forks move (unless you have "upside down" suspension).

T4tomo

Guru
The suspension on this is very retro in the fact it moves all of about 10mm!!
probably better off with the original rigid forks that will weigh 2kg less :laugh: (but don't have the "look" - unless you spray them purple!!)

OP
OP
Acekid

Acekid

probably better off with the original rigid forks that will weigh 2kg less :laugh: (but don't have the "look" - unless you spray them purple!!)
my daughter much prefers the look with these forks, and the weight difference isnt huge tbh, vey nimble little thing!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Back in the day I had one of these, I loved it as it was my dream bike in my late teens and I finally got one from a lad a Uni.

JhnBssll

Veteran
That's awesome :becool: I've always liked Orange but never owned one. A few friends had clockworks and C16R's growing up but I always had Kona's. This is a splendid retro build, I'm sure your daughter loves it :okay:

Top Bottom