Orange P7 - Just musing....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's all Gilesm's fault.

In the contemplation of retiring my rigid to other duties and buying a more up to date hardtail just for mtn biking I was thinking about an Orange and quite like the P7, it being steel, British and having a good pedigree.

I'm only an occasional mtn biker now, maybe I'll do a bit more. I do occasional built trails and want to do longer XC trails.

It gets good reviews. What do you think, any alternatives worth considering?

OP
OP
C

Crackle

........Or what about the Charge Duster, not sp. Not quite sure it's got the same pedigree also not sure about the styling......hmmmm

bobbyp

I had an Orange evo for a few years until some git half-inched it. Lovely bike, good handling and British to boot. My mate has a P7 that he loves, don't think you can go wrong for British trail riding.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

domtyler said:
Are you sure you are up to Mountain Biking at your age Crackle? What about your joints?

Many a truth said in jest mr.Tyler B) You'll note I said XC, less rigorous than these mad kamikaze trails they seem to build these days. My poor joints are also the reason I'm going steel and want some suspension :cry:

GilesM

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
It's all Gilesm's fault.

In the contemplation of retiring my rigid to other duties and buying a more up to date hardtail just for mtn biking I was thinking about an Orange and quite like the P7, it being steel, British and having a good pedigree.

I'm only an occasional mtn biker now, maybe I'll do a bit more. I do occasional built trails and want to do longer XC trails.

It gets good reviews. What do you think, any alternatives worth considering?

This is the sort of thing I am more than happy to be blamed for:biggrin:

If you want a XC trail bike I can't think of anything better than the P7, I would however get carried away with the possible options, that could really stick the price up, but one I would go for is the Hope headset, the standard FSA is not really designed for British conditions, especially a winter of wet trail centre grit.
I have no doubt that you'll become much more than an occassional mtn bike if you get one.

Have fun

Giles

GilesM

Legendary Member
Crackle said:
Many a truth said in jest mr.Tyler :tongue: You'll note I said XC, less rigorous than these mad kamikaze trails they seem to build these days. My poor joints are also the reason I'm going steel and want some suspension :wacko:

I find I'm getting more into the madder trails as I get older (must be the male menoporsche), the only good point is I know I haven't yet got brittle bones:smile:

mondobongo

Über Member
They are a great bike and well up for tearing it up all day at your local trail centre. Loved mine and was better than the Trance full sus I had before it. Second the upgrade to the headset.

How much do you want to spend?
If I had the money and needed another hardtail (which I don't) I'd go for something by Cotic. They use 853.

Leadlegs

My Orange P7 has been on the go for years - and I expect it to last for many more yet. I think it's a lovely bike and would highly recommend one to anybody.

Jitendrakumar

Hi

It is really tuff to ride a bike in mountains. There is the worst temp for me- right around freezing. This temp is right in between on my tights. It is almost too cold for the AM- tights and almost too warm for the Power shield tights. Legs were cool through most of the ride but not uncomfortable. We have to face a lot of difficulties due to changing in season.

jitendra kumar

Capture One Auto Transport

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Kirstie said:
How much do you want to spend?
If I had the money and needed another hardtail (which I don't) I'd go for something by Cotic. They use 853.

Nice but possibly overkill for me and my budget ;)

dmb said:
have a look at on-one
http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/
really good vfm

Yeah, they're under consideration.

Jitendra, where are you? The mountains are not so tall here, besides which I don't tend to take my bike up them, more trail riding.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
Don't get too excited about the 'forgiveness'' in a steel mtb frame - it's still a hardtail and you can vary the ride a million times more by tyre and tyre pressure choice than in any selection of frame material on a mtb. Try squeezing a tyre at 30 psi and one at 45 - feel the difference? Now try squeezing an aluminium frame and then a steel frame.

That's not to say steel is not a good choice (I have one) but don't be fooled into thinking that it will 'mop up the bumps'. It won't - it's a hardtail.

Other steel frames to consider would be the one from Merlin Cycles. ( www.merlincycles.co.uk )

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Thanks Tim. Hmm, interesting. There was a noticeable difference between the alu and steel road bikes I tried before buying my current Audax but it was the overall feel of the bike I was trying rather than comparing frames.

Yes there are many more variables in mtn biking than road riding, tyre choice etc seems to make a bigger difference. Bumps through the rear I don't mind, it's the teeth rattling front end downhill rough surface which I'm not so fussed about. Sometimes that's bad enough to make me slow down, also drop off's require more preparation and an exact line which can be difficult. It's those kind of things I'm looking to eliminate. I think my steel choice is more personal, as I've always had steel frames, however my wife's alu mtn bike is not noticeabley different in ride, apart from geometry differences, than my steel Marin. Orange do an alu frame in the same price range as the P7 so maybe it's worth a thought.

Top Bottom