Orbea Avant H50

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hutch118

I was thinking on one of these bikes as a first bike and wondered what folks views were on them. They're about £700 with Shimano Sora group sets.

Has anyone come across them? Any opinion welcome.

vickster

Legendary Member
Looks ok, something a bit different although the colour scheme doesn't do it for me

However, for £700 you can get a 2014 Giant Defy 1 with 105 groupset and renowned frame. Depends on whether the brand and aesthetics are more important than the components

Here in black or blue. http://www.ashcycles.com/site/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=88_111_675_817
http://www.rutlandcycling.com/advancedsearch.aspx?Term=giant defy 1

There are other retailers too. Where are you in the country?

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

Based in Scotland, there is a few different colour schemes available though. I saw one the other day and it seemed pretty good.

I liked the look of the bike and also the general standard of the components for the price.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Which colour scheme @vickster? I like the white/red.

The bike itself looks OK, I've ridden a hired Orbea (not that one) and it seemed pretty stable and comfortable, the components will need replacing over the life of the frame, they seem like good co-op-made bikes and at least it's not another Ford-Mondeo-style bike. ;)

I'd still take one for a test ride before deciding, though...

Onyer

Orbea are Spanish and used to supply bikes to the Euskaltel – Euskadi team until 2013. I have heard that they will supply bikes for another pro team in 2015, so look out for them in the Giro, Tour and Vuelta. They are very good bikes and the Avant has some good reviews - although I have only looked at the carbon version. My LBS have changed from supplying Scott bikes to Orbea and they are promising a demo day soon, so I will give one a try.

uclown2002

Guru
Based in Scotland, there is a few different colour schemes available though. I saw one the other day and it seemed pretty good.

I liked the look of the bike and also the general standard of the components for the price.

As vickster said, there are better components for the price; 105 is 2 levels above sora for eg

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

The Orbea has routed cables and yes I'll probably have to change things over the time of ownership as well.

Just wondered what the views are and whether anybody had one or similar on here.

Thanks for the replies as well.

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

Well had a go today and although I'm a relative newcomer to road bikes, it was quite impressive. It would do me fine as a first bike till I can gauge where I am and take it from there. It's actually a comfortable bike to ride as well.

I take what you said Vickster and I had a look around in my area earlier for a Giant I could look at but nobody had one I could actually see. Some had them but still in boxes in storage so not much good.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
That's fine if you prefer to buy in store, which is a good plan for a newbie. Enjoy your new bike :smile:

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

It's a local bike shop for me Vickster so It's all been set up for my size etc and the frames right for me. Looking forward to getting out again. Thanks for the tips and advice lads. All kitted out ready to go.

By the way, I've gone for the black, red and white. Not that I'm a fashionista but it looks good ha ha

Nice:becool::thumbsup:;cool bikes Orbeas,nice to get something other than from the 'big' corps.
I should have done the same as you as my LBS stocks Orbeas but got tempted by something shinier but ended up getting the wrong size so had to change again anyway.
Wouldn't worry too much about the sora if need be you could get some 10-spd 105(or even ultegra) bits for not too much at a later date to upgrade later;if the bug kicks in then you could get something like an orca and keep this one as a winter bike.

OP
OP
Hutch118

Hutch118

Cheers for that Elybazza61, there's so many bikes to choose from anyway so may as well get something that to me feels right and looks decent, it's not the end of the world for me if I want to change stuff or look at another bike upgrade in the future, this will get me cycling again so alls good.

Top Bottom