Orbea Gain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Southernguns

Hey Alba, This is a tough one to recommend as everyone's fitness/strength is different and the terrain they ride is different. On the app you can choose between 3 pre set options so I would try each of these and find which suits you best. From there you can then fine tune using the custom setting. I tend to leave mine on the sport setting unless I have done a leg day at the gym the day before and then I change everything to 100%.

Dadam

Thanks for your reply , I actually thought there was like a simple computer display which could alter power levels on and show speed and distance,I am sure I have seen that somewhere, but can’t remember where and the info on the website did seem to suggest that, but may have just meant the mount on top of the light. I would have still have bought the bike without it I just thought that it would have been a bit of a bonus!
I have not seen seen the handlebar controller that looks interesting but probably not worth the expense and hassle for me. I think I will be happy with just the button , I have been using an oldish (quite heavy)hybrid with a Swytch kit on and the button looks less fiddly than that , and most of the time I just leave it in level one as live in Norfolk so no big hills.

I know it's a while since this post but the D frame Gains now come with the Display OC ANT+ LEV which is also available aftermarket. If you've got the older model of Gain without the ANT+ you can buy it with the cable dongle that provides this connectivity.

Last edited:

WallStreet

I enjoyed reading through many messages, this one in particular.

Orbea Gain 1st ride.
Distance: 25.54 mi / Time: 1:35:28: / Avg Speed: 16.1 mph / Elev Gain: 1,555 ft / Avg HR: 114 bpm / Max HR: 138 bpm

The Gain was only ridden in 'lowest assist/eco/green' I was testing the bike and myself.

I never set out to race road bike v Gain, I rode reasonably hard (on both bikes)but certainly not 'eyeballs out'
My max HR is between 155 & 160 bpm. So my average HR for both rides was approx 75%.

I had a cardiac arrest & would like to protect my heart on climbs.

Things to note, I was 1m 37secs faster on the Gain, my average speed was 0.4 mph faster on the Gain.
My average HR was a little lower on the Gain.

1,600ft of climbing with two long ascents, one of 1.7mi with a top gradient of 14% and one of 3.5mi with a top gradient of 11%.

I have no doubt that on a flatter/flat(ish) course I would be faster on the road bike. It is not 'rocket science' the more climbing the bigger the advantage to the Orbea Gain.

The next day I rode only the Gain.

Orbea Gain 2nd ride.
Distance: 16.54 mi / Time: 1:02:27 / Avg Speed: 15.9 mph / Elev Gain: 942 ft / Avg HR: 115 bpm / Max HR: 133 bpm.

The battery was not charged after ride 1. Again I used exclusively the lowest (green) assist level.

The battery voltage dropped to below 50% at the 40 mile point. I am very satisfied with this, 40 mile and almost 2,600 ft of climbing. But my average speed on both rides was over the 15.5mph assist cut-out point.
I never used the top two assist levels.

There are many old/older fit riders that I think this bike will be exactly what they want. But if you are looking for a 'pedal assisted' bike to do a large proportion of the work be very sure before you part with your 'hard earned dosh' that the Orbea Gain is 'up to the job'

In my road cycling I would do club rides and achieve 16.5mph average. The club rides can get to 18.5mph. Is the bike speed as good as the legs/rider?

How many miles can you get with the battery extender?

WallStreet

Hi

I am looking to buy a used Orbea 2020 M30 Gain 105. I had a cardiac arrest & looking for extra help. I rode all my life. 72kg, 178cm height, inseam 31inches. The seller says he is my size & rides a large.

Sizing Help?!
On geometrygeeks I put my two size 54 bikes.

Is the Large okay? For someone my size. The stack is so much higher than my two other bikes:

https://geometrygeeks.bike/compare/...ict-2016-m-54,specialized-tarmac-sl7-2022-54/

When stack is higher, the comfort is often increased. The reach is apparently similar to my size 54.

Thanks

Nico

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I enjoyed reading through many messages, this one in particular.

I had a cardiac arrest & would like to protect my heart on climbs.

In my road cycling I would do club rides and achieve 16.5mph average. The club rides can get to 18.5mph. Is the bike speed as good as the legs/rider?

How many miles can you get with the battery extender?

If I remember correctly Scaley is a pretty fit rider! I've never achieved anything near those figures, but I bought my Gain because I needed help after developing vascular disease which affects my leg muscle strength. IME, on a club ride, I get about 1 mile to 2-3% of battery, so a range 40 - 45 miles at best. The range extender will increase that range (again - IME) to around 65-70 miles. It's fairly hilly around here and steady club rides will average 14+ mph at best, even with long stretches above the cut-off. If you are in the UK the legal cut-off speed for assistance is 15.5 mph, so an average of 16.5 mph would require considerable periods at over that speed - and unassisted the Gain is much heavier than an unassisted mid and upper level road bike. (My alloy framed Tiagra Gain is almost twice the on-road weight of the Ultegra carbon framed Rose I used to ride.) So yes, 'the bike speed (edit - and range) is as good as the legs/rider'.
I can't help with the bike fit and geometry, I'm riding a small, but if you are thinking about buying I would check the condition of the battery.

Last edited:

WallStreet

If I remember correctly Scaley is a pretty fit rider! I've never achieved anything near those figures, but I bought my Gain because I needed help after developing vascular disease which affects my leg muscle strength. IME, on a club ride, I get about 1 mile to 2-3% of battery, so a range 40 - 45 miles at best. The range extender will increase that range (again - IME) to around 65-70 miles. It's fairly hilly around here and steady club rides will average 14+ mph at best, even with long stretches above the cut-off. If you are in the UK the legal cut-off speed for assistance is 15.5 mph, so an average of 16.5 mph would require considerable periods at over that speed - and unassisted the Gain is

Thanks that’s very helpful.

I may need to rethink things for my heart safety. In 2021 November, I had a cardiac arrest. Sudden death as they called it. At 830am I was dressed for a cycle ride. But a blood clot created hypoxia. I have no memory. I did 52 miles nearing the end of the ride and I was only miles from home. Luckily I called my best friend with whom I was cycling (in a club ride) he got home & answered on his iWatch. He drove to me within 6 minutes. I passed out & he performed CPR for 16 minutes that I was dead. (205pm). I woke up at 930pm, unable to recognize family. In essence like a reboot.

Rehab took over a year. Memory came back but never of that day or weeks after. I needed 2 stents in my right artery.

May 2023, I had a mini stroke. Then they found I needed one more stent in my left artery. It’s genetics.

I bought a de Rosa super king after my sudden death! Barely rode it. Then after the stroke a SL7! Untouched. I love cycling & ride since I was 3.

much heavier than an unassisted mid and upper level road bike. (My alloy framed Tiagra Gain is almost twice the on-road weight of the Ultegra carbon framed Rose I used to ride.) So yes, 'the bike speed (edit - and range) is as good as the legs/rider'.
I can't help with the bike fit and geometry, I'm riding a small, but if you are thinking about buying I would check the condition of the battery.

I am looking at a carbon bike with 105. 2020 model. I am learning more, I need to figure where to get an extra extender.

Thanks

WallStreet

D30 Gain Test Ride - My Report & Questions

I watched loads of videos, researched a week of online forums & couldn’t get all the answers.

Feel, Ride & Misc

1. Very compliant
2. A helping hand pushing me up a small hill
3. Tires need changed
4. Bar needs reduced to 38, prefer a carbon aero
5. Agile, décent up a 3-4% without motor on
6. Alloy bar sends road feedback, it’s not too buzzy
7. Amazing tire clearances
8. Felt stiff enough to ride & propels forward
9. Somewhat aero-ish fork, to top tubes
10. Long wheelbase stability
11. I had to go size down! 178cm usually on 54, this was a 52! My Tarmac is more aggressive but size 54 in thé Gain was not comfy - arms were too stretched! 52 felt like home.
12. Very glossy frame. Mango 🥭 is bright & fresh. Whilst my preference of borealius blue - has a Rapha brevet classic feel to it.
13. Will need PPF (read some people had chips)

Questions:

1. What’s the real difference to carbon? (It felt comfy in alloy)

2. Will it feel harder up a hill as it’s 13.2kg on a 7-13% vs a M30 or M20 that’s lighter?

3. Pre heart attack I was 16.5mph on club rides. Hills of 7-10% & 2,650-4,000 feet climbs. Is this possible?

4. Club rides are 55-80 miles. 😬 will i need an extender?

5. What extender would you use? I am not great at making one up. £560, 🤩 that’s eye watering

6. Alloy vs Carbon debate?! I read 1/2 of a cyclechat forum chat on Orbea Gain’s since 2019-2022! It’s 71 pages!

7. Would love to meet fellow riders in glasgow

Thanks 🙏🏽

Niaz - Scotland

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

D30 Gain Test Ride - My Report & Questions

I watched loads of videos, researched a week of online forums & couldn’t get all the answers.

Feel, Ride & Misc

1. Very compliant
2. A helping hand pushing me up a small hill
3. Tires need changed
4. Bar needs reduced to 38, prefer a carbon aero
5. Agile, décent up a 3-4% without motor on
6. Alloy bar sends road feedback, it’s not too buzzy
7. Amazing tire clearances
8. Felt stiff enough to ride & propels forward
9. Somewhat aero-ish fork, to top tubes
10. Long wheelbase stability
11. I had to go size down! 178cm usually on 54, this was a 52! My Tarmac is more aggressive but size 54 in thé Gain was not comfy - arms were too stretched! 52 felt like home.
12. Very glossy frame. Mango 🥭 is bright & fresh. Whilst my preference of borealius blue - has a Rapha brevet classic feel to it.
13. Will need PPF (read some people had chips)

Questions:

1. What’s the real difference to carbon? (It felt comfy in alloy)

2. Will it feel harder up a hill as it’s 13.2kg on a 7-13% vs a M30 or M20 that’s lighter?

3. Pre heart attack I was 16.5mph on club rides. Hills of 7-10% & 2,650-4,000 feet climbs. Is this possible?

4. Club rides are 55-80 miles. 😬 will i need an extender?

5. What extender would you use? I am not great at making one up. £560, 🤩 that’s eye watering

6. Alloy vs Carbon debate?! I read 1/2 of a cyclechat forum chat on Orbea Gain’s since 2019-2022! It’s 71 pages!

7. Would love to meet fellow riders in glasgow

Thanks 🙏🏽

Niaz - Scotland

That's a pretty shocking medical history. I completely understand that you are keen to get back into cycling as before, but take it steady!
As to your bike questions, a lot of what you report and ask is very subjective - only you can decide. I can't really help much as I have one of the earlier alloy Gains, and the frames and equipment have been changed over the years. I also have a carbon Ribble SLE, roughly 3 kg lighter than the Gain, and I find it much more eager than the alloy Gain, maybe because it has much lighter carbon wheels, lighter tyres and a much more aggressive frame geometry - shorter head-tube, shorter wheelbase. It is a harsher ride, probably due to the stiff wheels, and if I want a gentle leisurely ride I'll use the Gain. I opted for a traditional separate stem and bars (but carbon) on the SLe rather than an integrated set up as it allows me much more adjustment and easier access to cables for maintenance. I ride the SLe with the club 'steady' group in the summer, the Gain (with mudguards) in the winter, or on wet rides year long. I swap a Mahle extender between the bikes. For me it's essential for rides beyond 40 miles, and gives me a range of up to around 70 - 75 miles. Many people report range and hill climbing capability way beyond my experiences, but besides having my own history of cardiovascular disease, and a number of stents, I now have peripheral arterial disease, which blocks the supply of blood to my leg muscles ( which is why I bought an ebike in the first place, otherwise I'd still be riding unassisted bikes). Surgery is a possibility, but involves two serious procedures to each leg, not without considerable risks, the most serious being amputation - my consultant advised me to wait until it was essential and unavoidable. Hence I'm probably using more assistance than most, although I try to use as little as possible, and ride above the cut off speed whenever possible, and to keep up with the group when speed rises. Perhaps perversely I find long flat or downhill stretches over the cut-off hardest, as even the SLe is still a heavy bike to keep rolling given my lack of leg strength, but I do have some advantage on up hill stretches!

My apologies those who've heard much of this before - I believe I started this thread, so I expect I've repeated myself many times over! ^_^

WallStreet

That's a pretty shocking medical history. I completely understand that you are keen to get back into cycling as before, but take it steady!
As to your bike questions, a lot of what you report and ask is very subjective - only you can decide. I can't really help much as I have one of the earlier alloy Gains, and the frames and equipment have been changed over the years. I also have a carbon Ribble SLE, roughly 3 kg lighter than the Gain, and I find it much more eager than the alloy Gain, maybe because it has much lighter carbon wheels, lighter tyres and a much more aggressive frame geometry - shorter head-tube, shorter wheelbase. It is a harsher ride, probably due to the stiff wheels, and if I want a gentle leisurely ride I'll use the Gain. I opted for a traditional separate stem and bars (but carbon) on the SLe rather than an integrated set up as it allows me much more adjustment and easier access to cables for maintenance. I ride the SLe with the club 'steady' group in the summer, the Gain (with mudguards) in the winter, or on wet rides year long. I swap a Mahle extender between the bikes. For me it's essential for rides beyond 40 miles, and gives me a range of up to around 70 - 75 miles. Many people report range and hill climbing capability way beyond my experiences, but besides having my own history of cardiovascular disease, and a number of stents, I now have peripheral arterial disease, which blocks the supply of blood to my leg muscles ( which is why I bought an ebike in the first place, otherwise I'd still be riding unassisted bikes). Surgery is a possibility, but involves two serious procedures to each leg, not without considerable risks, the most serious being amputation - my consultant advised me to wait until it was essential and unavoidable. Hence I'm probably using more assistance than most, although I try to use as little as possible, and ride above the cut off speed whenever possible, and to keep up with the group when speed rises. Perhaps perversely I find long flat or downhill stretches over the cut-off hardest, as even the SLe is still a heavy bike to keep rolling given my lack of leg strength, but I do have some advantage on up hill stretches!

My apologies those who've heard much of this before - I believe I started this thread, so I expect I've repeated myself many times over! ^_^

Thanks so much for the details.

Can I ask how old you are now? I expect the disease to progress and one Cardiologist said you’re on borrowed time. 😂 thanks I said… I plan to enjoy family time & time with loved ones…

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Thanks so much for the details.

Can I ask how old you are now? I expect the disease to progress and one Cardiologist said you’re on borrowed time. 😂 thanks I said… I plan to enjoy family time & time with loved ones…

Hi, I'm only 76 :okay: . My last stents were installed over 11 years ago. I've never had a heart attack and signs of cardiovascular disease only became evident in the form of exercise induced angina - this started in my 40's, then my first angioplasty was performed. The disease affecting my legs only became apparent around 6 years ago after a period of inactivity following a hip replacement.
I've always kept fairly fit, not overweight, first cycled with a club in my early teens, but was a smoker for many years - that is undoubtably the major cause of my health problems. edit - forgot to mention - family history of heart disease - smoking was the last thing I should have done, but we didn't really know any better in those days.

Last edited:

WallStreet

Hi, I'm only 76 :okay: . My last stents were installed over 11 years ago. I've never had a heart attack and signs of cardiovascular disease only became evident in the form of exercise induced angina - this started in my 40's, then my first angioplasty was performed. The disease affecting my legs only became apparent around 6 years ago after a period of inactivity following a hip replacement.
I've always kept fairly fit, not overweight, first cycled with a club in my early teens, but was a smoker for many years - that is undoubtably the major cause of my health problems. edit - forgot to mention - family history of heart disease - smoking was the last thing I should have done, but we didn't really know any better in those days.

You’re young! I had a MI, cardiac arrest. Sudden death. The terms banded to me. Heart disease runs in the family, genetically. I didn’t smoke, I ate relatively well & low bmi.

I cherish the time I get, I feel strong & fit. I know I can get back stronger in 3 months of rehab that’s starting next week. I have 3 stents now. It’s scary how fast the last artery got blocked, within a year. Borrowed time is what the cardiologist said.

Last edited:

cm2mackem

Über Member
First ride on my D30 Gain, 30 mile on level 1, used 16% of battery, for reference 60 years old, 5ft 11, 15st ex rugby player, ride was 18 months since first stent fitment after cardiac, and 8 months after knee repair, comparing it to my carbon Dolan L'etape,
Uphill, easier than carbon bike, not so out of breath no stress on knee, that's the point of the bike I think
Downhill, same as carbon bike, more planted, those Hutchinson tyres are rubbish
Flats, not as quick as carbon bike, but no feel of drag from the motor, eliminated the headwind
Knee not as painful , heart not really stressed, kept looking at the out front readout to see if I was below 15.5 or not.
Came with a floppy front light holder, tightened after watching youtube vid, and attached camera underneath, very solid now.
Will change the bars for some drop riser bars with ergo tops, supplied bars are to skinny, tyres to something round like the Goodyear Eagle 30mm, used a triangle frame bag so as not to obscure the rear light , so a smaller second bottle will be needed for all day rides, or just keep filling the one bottle at the cafes.
Overall it increased my average speed by 1.5MPH over the 30 mile compared to my Dolan but I returned home and wasn't the usual sweaty, leg shaking needing chocolate mess.

Last edited:

richtea

> Uphill, easier than carbon bike, not so out of breath no stress on knee, that's the point of the bike I think
> I returned home and wasn't the usual sweaty, leg shaking needing chocolate mess.
Exactly!

Everything else is roughly the same, or as good as you might hope - just a few tiny wrinkles: potholes are a bit more vicious with the weight of the motor in the back wheel, and swinging the bike left/right if you're out of the saddle isn't quite a tidy as you might like.
But hey, it beats a heart attack, gets you out, and most importantly - makes you happy.
Job done.

Top Bottom