Orbit America

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Found this earlier today at local car boot and could not resist it when the seller said how much he was asking........ I knocked him down a fiver as tyres were flat.

Full Reynolds 531c tubing and Shimano 300 exage apart from crankset.

WP_20150711_002.jpg
WP_20150711_003.jpg
WP_20150711_004.jpg

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Youre gonna tell me that its up for sale but its a 58 now arent you.

AndyRM

XOXO

AndyRM

XOXO
got to admit @Richard A Thackeray i have to agree with @AndyRM comment

do you still use same colour scheme ?

I hope so. Blinding people with awesome since 1992!

got to admit @Richard A Thackeray i have to agree with @AndyRM comment

do you still use same colour scheme ?
No
At the time, I was commuting into of Leeds, as I worked near Tetleys Brewery
When on days, I finished at 18:00, thus I didn't care what I looked like, so long as drivers took notice of me
The jacket was one of those 'foam'/sponge types, that quite literally acted as one, when they got wet

The tights were 'Troll' (if memory serves), & were from a rock-climbing shop

I bought one of these 8 yrs ago from a local papers small ads for pennies, real bargain, as a first road bike for my son. However he did not like the sis gears and only rode it a handful of times. I loved the colours and feel of the bike ( always seemed to be saying faster, faster to me) and commuted on it for a while but too big for me. I sold it to a "friend" for a similar small amount as he was skint and wanted to get into cycling. He then immediately micked me off by never riding it and selling it for 10 times what he paid for it within 2 weeks.
NB 4 years later he did get into cycling and became a avid ironman competitor so he is now forgiven.

Digressing into the dirt, but still on the Birmingham(?) built bike

Having read the above, I've just delved into my archives, & got Cycling Weekly from that week

Roger Hammond won the 1992 (Junior) World Cyclo-Cross Championships, in Leeds, on an Orbit
(totally hand-built in the factory, from 753)

I was there^_^
I was standing talking to Richard (& Robert) Thackrays mum (Nora), as both lads were in the Junior squad too, & Roger had stayed with them, so he could train on the course & ride with the lads (& some of the other damned good CX riders around Bradford, like Chris Young
As I was stood there, Hammond came up to thank Nora, & show her the medal & jersey
He was more than happy to let me photograph them
1990s. Cyclo-Cross. World Championship 1992. Roger Hammond 1.jpg

Scanned from 'CW'
Note the old style Sidi Cx shoes, with a self-attached SPD cleat (I've still got a pair of those shoes somewhere, in a box in the shed, or garage

Hammmond. 1.jpg

Hammonds mother & sister, with presentation bouquet & medal
Hammmond. 2.jpg

Front cover, & souvenir booklet
1973479_10203302170027296_3472115048797758783_o.jpg

Attachments

• Hammmond. 3.jpg
    Hammmond. 3.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
biggs682

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
a few years ago i bought Andy Thompsons late fathers road bike , he built a matching his & hers pair for his parents whilst he was in charge of Orbit .

from memory 531 professional tubing 5 speed gearing , flat bars and a rear rack that could carry an elelphant sold it to a young lady in the Shetland Ilse's

midlife

Guru
Nice pics.

I've got a Thompson frame in the garage :smile:. He posted for a while on Retrobike as "featch"

Shaun

Top Bottom