order of shimano items, and these shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonj2

I just won these shifters - what do you reckon , not bad for £75 inc p+p? or not great?

and where does '105' come in the sequence?
the way i understand it it's
Dura-Ace <--- highest
Ultegra
Tiagra
Sora
??? others ???
??? <----- lowest

where does 105 fit into this?

are these shifters going to be alright do you reckon with my existing 8 speed mech, and new cable outer?

gbb

Legendary Member
Forgetting the very lowest...but road equipment goes
Sora lowest, then
Tiagra, then
and so on upward

I like those autions that end somewhere mid morning or afternoon...no-ones around to bid :tongue:...bargains to be had.

£75....give or take, thats what you'd pay for Sora...so 2 levels up for the same price ? seems very good to me

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
105 is between Ultegra and Tiagra. From what I've read, there's no real performance improvement for ultegra and dura-ace, you're just saving more weight.

105 went to 10-speed in 2006 (I think?), so these are 2005 or earlier.

No idea about the mech.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

oh good
so it's
Sora
Tiagra
Ultegra
Dura-Ace

On the auction it says Ultegra is being phased out. Wonder if it's being replaced by something of a completely different name to confuse us even more...

don't really mind what year they are as long as they'll work and they're reasonably good value...

gbb

Legendary Member
Steve Austin said:
you do know a 9 speed shifter won't work with an 8 speed cassette, don't you? :tongue:

I wondered about this in the past.
Are the shifting increments the same, 8 or 9 speed.
What if when you set them up you select 'top' gear as 8th on the levers.
Your rear mech cannot go beyond the stops, so once youve reached 8th, the rear mech cannot shift any further, even if you shift to 9th on the levers.

Probably talking cr@p, but would that work ????

OP
OP
B

bonj2

Steve Austin said:
you do know a 9 speed shifter won't work with an 8 speed cassette, don't you? :tongue:

won't it? :tongue:
no, shoot it won't will it, you're right steve. thanks
it won't be too much of a problem i can just get a new cassette (and chain).
good opportunity to get an 11t small sprocket as opposed to 12t anyway, will come in useful when these bloody winds start dying down.

I won't have to get a new mech though will i?, 'cos all that does is move backwards and forwards over the whole range of the space the cassette occupies, however the cable pull tells it to.

There is some cross compatibility between 8 and 9 spd componentry but not between shifters. The trouble is that an 8 spd freehub is the same width as a 9 spd freehub. The cassettes are the same width too which means that 9 spd sprockets are spaced closer together and are narrower. Shifters pull the same length of cable of cable but that length is divided by 8 or 9 'clicks', the increments are different. You might be able to get two or even three gears to work but further down the block the indexing will be way out.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

gbb said:
I wondered about this in the past.
Are the shifting increments the same, 8 or 9 speed.
What if when you set them up you select 'top' gear as 8th on the levers.
Your rear mech cannot go beyond the stops, so once youve reached 8th, the rear mech cannot shift any further, even if you shift to 9th on the levers.

Probably talking cr@p, but would that work ????

nah, steve's right (I think).
cos if you think about the width of each sprocket, the width of the cassette is the same - so each sprocket on a 9 sprocket cassette is thinner than on an 8. So therefore the shifter has to move the mech more for each gear change on an 8-sprocket.

OP
OP
B

bonj2

mickle said:
There is some cross compatibility between 8 and 9 spd componentry but not between shifters. The trouble is that an 8 spd freehub is the same width as a 9 spd freehub. The cassettes are the same width too which means that 9 spd sprockets are spaced closer together and are narrower. Shifters pull the same length of cable of cable but that length is divided by 8 or 9 'clicks', the increments are different. You might be able to get two or even three gears to work but further down the block the indexing will be way out.

it'd be horrid, i'm not going to even try it
new cassette come payday, want an 11t anyway.

gbb

Legendary Member
mickle said:

I was wrong...but on the right track then. It doesnt work...thats put that to bed in my mind.

alfablue

The shifters are fine but you have bought from one of the NASTIEST ebayers of all time - see this thread.

Obviously many sales go through fine but you might endure weeks of waiting, claims that they are lost in the post, claims that you have them and are lying about non-delivery, secondhand items sold as new, items not as described, obscenity and rudeness if you complain, libelous feedback should youl leave a negative - apart from that you should be fine! I wish you luck!

Top Bottom