Organ donors in motion.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Mange tout

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I don't think hiviz should be compulsory.

However, the right incentive (eg in return for presumed liability) might be enough to change my mind.

I thought this may be of interest. This is one of the trams in Stuttgart:

ssb_2018_09_07_02.jpg

They are ca.39m long, 3.7m high and 2.5m wide. As you can see, they are canary yellow, and have lights. Being rail-borne vehicles they tend to move fairly predictably. Trams have been a feature of the city for over a century.

You would not believe how frequently someone drives into one, or pulls out in front of them. As these trams are also about 59t empty, this tends to end badly for the car.

Now, if drivers frequently miss this, I'm not sure how making myself look like a radioactive teletubby will help.

I think the problem in this discussion is that we're all talking about subjective safety, and make our decisions depending on what we feel is safe. Personally I feel perfectly safe in normal clothes (which in my work means brown/green/black with a cloth hat (or an Akubra when I'm feeling sartorially extravagant or it's raining). I also feel it's best to have constant lights front and back, whatever conditions I'm riding in. There are some roads I won't ride, and some I'll only ride on weekends.

I'm sure others with the same commute would make different decisions. Unfortunately all of us are working on our instincts because there's very little evidence one way or the other: it's subjective safety, not proven safety, and telling someone it's their own fault for being injured when they don't follow our rules isn't helping.

Last edited:
I have seen many cyclists taking no regard for their personal safety by riding without lights at dusk / after dark, wearing nothing reflective and riding a dark bicycle. So in daylight, of course you are more visible, but if the weather changes? It's not always bright and sunny. It's not always bright and sunny for a whole ride.

Some people can not grasp the concept of riding safely and being considerate to those around you.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Some people can not grasp the concept of riding safely and being considerate to those around you.

Same for driving, walking and pretty much everything in life.

bladderhead

You think that such an operation would stop them driving? They would be even less bothered about driving carefully.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You think that such an operation would stop them driving? They would be even less bothered about driving carefully.
Also, make it a requirement to have the consent of a licensed driver to tax or insure a motor vehicle. Then many unlicensed drivers will get pinged by ANPR easily and vehicles seized.

Top Bottom