Ortleib front roller rear roller

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
There is no stupid questions except those questions unasked.

I have Tubus front racks on my Koga World Traveller. Is there some reason I cannot have Ortleib rear rollers on the front as well as on the back?

I have tried them and they fit Ok. The racks and bike are strong enough and there is enough Ground clearance. The front Kickstand is a bit fiddlly to get out but I dont use it much.

The reason I ask is that I am looking for a set of front panniers and Ortleib rear rollers come up on e Bay far more often than front rollers and often cheaper.

Steve

Purely size.

It has been done :

Biker Tony

Bodhbh

Guru
Sometimes the upper bar you clip the panniers on is a little short - but workable - for rear panniers on front racks. I think they say you can't fit a rear pannier to cover themselves. I've got a Tubus Airy rear rack on a bike, they specifically say you can't use the Ortlieb rear rollers on, but they fit okay and well within the 30kg weight limit.

tbh if you're going to add front rack and panniers, you've already added a couple of kg to the weight of the bike, whether the panniers are large or small, so might as well get the big ones for a few hundred grams extra.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
One problem if you have a slightly short wheelbase is that the larger panniers will clip your heels as you pedal, so you might prefer to use the smaller ones on the back. You can, obvs, move them by adjusting the position of the clips on the rail on the pannier, but it does depend on your bike. An expedition bike with long wheelbase might not have this problem (eg Thorn Sherpa) but a "quicker" road bike ( eg Thorn Audax mark 3) might.

OP
OP
steveindenmark

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
The Koga world traveller is a big bike by any standards and I have lots of space for my feet both front and back.

The back rollers fit very easily on the front and back.

The only problem that I can envisage is that having big panniers to the front and rear, encourages you to take more gear than you need.

Steve

Top Bottom