Ortlieb bar bags

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ratty2k

Wonder if anyone can help me? I'm planning a ride on the Trans Pennine trail April/ May ish... and I'd like a bar bag, the Ortlieb ones look real nice.
Now to the rub, I bought a cheap one on ebay (not Ortlieb) but had trouble fitting it, due to the cable route following the bars under the tape.
To compound the proble, I'm running cantilever brakes and have the brake cable running down the head tube. Can someone show detailed pics so I can see if there would be any issues using an Orttlieb bag (Ultimate 5)
Ive found a Japanese website that shows fitting the Ultimate 3 bag, are the 3 & 5 the same fitting?

Cheers,
ratty.

Bigtallfatbloke

Dunno 'bout those but my Carradice bags fits perfectly and easily with a click fix lock supplied with the bag

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Just had a look at yer bike- very nice!! Looks promising the Carradice bag- will have a look at them now.

Ta,
ratty.

Bigtallfatbloke

Mine are carradice overlanders. I dont know if they still do them. These type have an inner pannier liner (the bar bag does not). The bar bag is plenty big enuff for my stuff and has a map wallet on it. Also available in Green and black.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Ok, thanks for that. As I'm looking closer now at the different makes out there I'm pretty sure of what I want now.
Thanks again for the help.

ratty.

jags

Guru
say ratty before you go spending a fortune on ortlieb have a look at chainreaction cycles click on 80% off check out the karymor barbag it's a great bag i got one well impressed

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Oh, right! Thanks for the tip, it certainly looks OK, but how slim is the fastener? My bars as stated have the cables under the tape, and with running cantis (I know! but I like 'em.) I wonder whether it would fit?
Could you post a pic of the way it fastens to the bar?

Bigtallfatbloke

does your tape go right through the middle of the bars up to thje stem on each side? Mine stops a few inches either side of the stem and the klick fix gizmo fits perfectly. Here is a shot I took last spring:

Sorry I dont know what 'running with Cantis' means.

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

Ahh, just refering to the fact that I have a short cable running brom the bar top a stop thingy for the cable. and the last bag I had needed clearance under the stem which I dont have. Bar tape does stop a couple of inches away from the stem (on each side) but the cables are pretty tight in that area.

I'll post a pic to see if that clears it up any....

OP
OP
R

ratty2k

From the top.
2200157972_d75aac803d_b.jpg

From underneath

2199363125_0129665184_b.jpg

From the front

2199359487_1e6b9afb83_b.jpg

And finally from the side. (sorry about the quality!)

2199357609_34252872a7_b.jpg

Top Bottom