Osteoarthritis in knees

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dbeattie

Über Member
I firmly believe that the NHS needs to get it's act together when it comes to matters orthopaedic. So much conflicting advice. Gym work, and cycling, have helped defer my knee replacement indefinitely. According to my knee x-rays, I shouldn't be able to walk!!
Agree. It's pot luck. If you're lucky you get a physiotherapist who understands strength and movement. IMO a lot of knee problems are down to issues with gait, weak feet, ankles and hips. Standard physio intervention is strengthen around the site of the pain, when root causes may lie elsewhere.

runner

Guru
I have just been told I have OA in my hips. I have been advised to do more cycling and forget the running ( i have been a keen runner for 35 years!) I have found that cycling is a great help as it is non weight bearing and i can cycle everyday with no adverse effects...with that in mind I am now entering sportives to give me my buzz :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have just been told I have OA in my hips. I have been advised to do more cycling and forget the running ( i have been a keen runner for 35 years!) I have found that cycling is a great help as it is non weight bearing and i can cycle everyday with no adverse effects...with that in mind I am now entering sportives to give me my buzz :smile:
I was never much of a runner but I did used to go for 3 or 4 mile hilly runs a couple of times a week 30-odd years ago. Then I started to get OA in my hips so I decided to just stick to cycling.

I am now 61 and my hips are not really much worse than they were in my early 30s, but they soon complain if I run for a train or bus. (Funnily enough though, I did feel a twinge or two this morning, but nothing too bad.)

runner

Guru
I was never much of a runner but I did used to go for 3 or 4 mile hilly runs a couple of times a week 30-odd years ago. Then I started to get OA in my hips so I decided to just stick to cycling.

I am now 61 and my hips are not really much worse than they were in my early 30s, but they soon complain if I run for a train or bus. (Funnily enough though, I did feel a twinge or two this morning, but nothing too bad.)
I think you have convinced me Colin to stick to cycling....BTW do you use glucosamine and does it help?

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
sounds like something that is smoked!
Well quite. CBD is extracted from the cannabis plant, however it does not contain THC which is the bit that makes you extra happy. It's being touted as a miracle cure for just about everything, the effects of cannabis smoking on pain seem to be well documented. CBD is apparently beneficial to pain relief amongst other things but does not have the less desirable properties and is available as oils, capsules, ointments as well as vapes.

Last edited:

julioalmeda219

I've been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis in my knees, the right one is causing the most problems. Getting x ray today to find out the extent of it.
My job is manual work and it really does not help the situation! Bloody grinding pain is getting to me now!
Looking at a couple of old threads, I see I am not alone.
I'm no athlete, but I love cycling and I'm concerned the effect this will have. GP states, unless problem is chronic, I'm too young for knee replacement. (I'm over 50, this has to be the only thing in the world I'm considered young for!)
I'm really worried about work, can't afford not to, but will look for something a bit kinder on my old bones. I don't want to lose my cycling, has anyone found certain coping mechanisms or tips to help?

Did you try with a new diet? Eating fruits and veggies and less meat helps a lot.

screenman

Legendary Member
A surgeon wanted to operate on my worn out knee 25 years ago, I declined the offer as he told me that I may not be able to kneel down, something I have to do for fixing dents. I know at some point I will need a TKR, but it will hopefully wait until I pack up working.

A surgeon wanted to operate on my worn out knee 25 years ago, I declined the offer as he told me that I may not be able to kneel down, something I have to do for fixing dents. I know at some point I will need a TKR, but it will hopefully wait until I pack up working.
So much has changed in the past 10 years, I suspect what you were told 25 years ago is no longer the reality. If your knees bother you, get an up-to-date assessment. Of course if you feel you can wait, then you're luckier than many. :smile:

screenman

Legendary Member
So much has changed in the past 10 years, I suspect what you were told 25 years ago is no longer the reality. If your knees bother you, get an up-to-date assessment. Of course if you feel you can wait, then you're luckier than many. :smile:

I can live with the pain, for now.

Top Bottom