Osteoporosis in cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slipperdiff

Regular
I used to run for fitness but cartilage ops on both knees have made running a thing of the past, on doctor's advice.
I'm about 9 months into a return to cycling after a break of about 10 years and loving getting out and about - it's now my main form of exercise. I think there are quite a few ways help stave off Osteoporosis, starting with good old press-ups/sit-ups, some home weight-lifting and social walking. I'm hoping that will be enough for me!
Incidentally my wife is a Coeliac - allergic to gluten - and this has the effect of blocking the gut's ability to absorb calcium, so she is on a high dose calcium tablet daily having received a marginal bone density scan. The body also needs Vitamin D to handle the calcium effectively, so make sure you get a bit of sunshine...

Drago

Legendary Member
Accy, this is very worrying. If it had been printed in some fly by night gossip rag I'd have dismissed it as sensationalised witchcraft, but we're talking the Daily Mail here.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Yes there are people who are genuinely lactose intolerant for which diary products based on cows milk are a no go. They must get calcium from other sources. It must be difficult.
Worldwide, lactose intolerance is the norm.
It's only some populations (northern European in our case) where the production of the enzyme to digest lastose continues into adulthood, as a result of one of several mutations that became selected for on the development of the herding lifestyle (lactase persistence, wiki). If the enzyme doesn't get produced, the lactose passes through to the lower gut where the intestinal bacteria scoff it, giving bloating, abdominal pain, diarrhea etc.
The lactose intolerant can often maintain an adequate dairy calcium intake by eating "pre-digested" milk, such as yoghurt or cheese.

Top Bottom