OT Computer Crash

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dormouse

My desktop froze, did not respond to CNTR+ALT+DEL so I had to switch it off. Now all it it does is make a pathetic beep when I switch it on, nothing appears on screen. Any tips on what to do next, apart from cry? Should I try rebooting with Windows discs?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Wiggle the ram in and out, depending on the type of and number of beeps.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
And graphics. If you get your make of computer and look it up on the net you'll find an explanation of what a slow beep means. I usually find that it's the ram or graphics that have dislodged slightly.

domtyler

Über Member
What motherboard is it? Find out and track down the documentation on the net to find out what the beep pattern means. Then address the problem.

Alternatively you could just buy a new computer and sling the old one in landfill.

domtyler

Über Member
Standard Original IBM POST Error Codes

1 short beep
Normal POST - system is ok
2 short beeps POST Error - error code shown on screen
No beep Power supply or system board problem
Continuous beep Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem
Repeating short beeps Power supply or system board problem
1 long, 1 short beep System board problem
1 long, 2 short beeps Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)
1 long, 3 short beeps Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)
3 long beeps 3270 keyboard card

Speicher

Vice Admiral
This may be blindingly obvious :ohmy: But - if I switch off my computer at the socket, then back on again shortly afterwards, I still have to switch the screen back "on" again, even if I did not switch it "off". :wacko:

domtyler

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
bin old pc-->visit apple store-->buy macintosh-->take it home-->turn it on-->use it

simple.

This is pure craziness! You do know that eighty seven percent of Macs are faulty at any one time don't you? And the other thirteen percent are on fire.

Top Bottom