OT - Contact Lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi I've finally decide to take the plunge and try contact lenses. My first appointment for fitting (Monday) was a nightmare. I went back today (Friday) it was slightly better I managed to get right lens in after a couple of attempts, it took me a lot longer to get the left in however ;). I just wondered have any other contact wearers got any tips?

Alcdrew

Just don't be scared. I think the fear of touching your eye is the bit that makes it hard to do.

Try to make sure your hands are as dry as possible, the lenses like to stick to anything wet.

Other than that enjoy been able to ride bikes in the rain and with having to wipe your glasses ever minute.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I think the way most places show you is a load of rubbish, tbh (hold the top and bottom lids, attempt to manouver lens into eye).

I hold the bottom eyelid down while looking up - lens goes onto the eye (part white, part iris) and then gets slid up. It's easier, but your optician may insist you do it their way first. Controlling your blink reflex takes time too. I went back three times before I demopnstrated sufficient aptitude for them to let me out with my own set of lenses, and had at least one night where I thought I'd be off to A&E because I couldn't get the lens out again!

It does get easier!

Tynan

Veteran
you get the hang of it really quickly and it's all good after that barring a few weeks of getting your eyes used to them, you;ll be cleaning them in yur mouth without stopping talking in the pub before you know it

glasses when riding are a definite must though, ok when raining as said

Danny

Legendary Member
Agree with JtM that it takes time to get used to putting something in your eye, but you'll soon get used to it.

Also, you'll find that when you wear contacts you are ultra sensative to any bits of dirt, insects, etc. that get onto your eye, so make sure you wear some form of eye protection when you cycle.

Danny

Legendary Member
The good news is that cycling with contacts is so much better than wearing glasses - particularly when it rains!

I used to have contacts, always found the getting out worse than the getting in...especially if I had been wearing them for longer than I was supposed to, they seemed to glue themselves to my eyeballs and went all weird and slimy...

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks for the encouragement and advice folks. I've managed to get them in a few times a lot quicker, ignoring the way the optician said and doing it my own way.

Unkraut

Master of the Inane Comment
I had contacts for nearly 20 years, and wish I could return to them (a non-related eye infection did for them). They are much better than glasses except sometimes at night and of course the extra sensitivity to dust.

The cost of specs and contacts is now too much.

k-dog

Yeah, just takes time - after a few weeks it will just take you a few seconds and you'll wonder how it was ever so hard.

I teach people regularly how to do it (and my way is right!) and I average about 1 1/2 appointments - of 20 mins each. If you get to 20 mins it's worth quitting as you just get frustrated and have sore eyes.

Same goes for taking them out - don't leave it until 11:30 at first - start at 9 or something so if you can't get them out go and do something else for 20 mins and try again.

No use panicking about it.

and had at least one night where I thought I'd be off to A&E because I couldn't get the lens out again!

If you're really stuck it's unlikely you'll do any harm leaving them for 1 night and getting help in the morning - and I would suggest A&E is not the place to go - the docs have very little eye training and contact lens removal isn't taught even if they do.

Just leave them and speak to your optician in the morning.

Many of the new high oxygen lenses are safe for occasional overnight wear - but even if it's a regular lens 1 night shouldn't cause any problems if they're well fitted.

My number's on my office answering maching but I've never had to get out of bed yet!

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
k-dog said:
If you're really stuck it's unlikely you'll do any harm leaving them for 1 night and getting help in the morning - and I would suggest A&E is not the place to go - the docs have very little eye training and contact lens removal isn't taught even if they do.

Interesting - I only said that because that's what the optician said I was to do in an emergency...

k-dog

Really?

That's pretty poor advice.

If your optometrist isn't willing to offer emergency care then you could do better.

You'd probably be better contacting a friend who wears contact lenses and having them take them out for you than going to the hospital though.

It's really just a case of holding your eyelids open and then grabbing them - the only hard part is keeping your eyes open at first - but with a couple of fingers it's easy enough to do.

simoncc

I've worn contacts for nearly 20 years and have had no trouble at all. They did take a week or so to get used to though, and a bit longer to master getting them in quickly every time without a mirror. I never wear any eye protection when cycling. even the odd fly in my eye doesn't affect the lenses so long as I'm carful when rubbing my eye.

Daily disposable lenses are very flimsy, not for the novice lens wearer as they are harder to put in, and are the most expensive, but they are the most comfortable lenses in my experience.

Top Bottom