OT - Contact Lenses

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
simoncc said:
I've worn contacts for nearly 20 years and have had no trouble at all. They did take a week or so to get used to though, and a bit longer to master getting them in quickly every time without a mirror. I never wear any eye protection when cycling. even the odd fly in my eye doesn't affect the lenses so long as I'm carful when rubbing my eye.

With glasses on this weekend i still got a fly in my eye when traveling at speed and have had to make a trip to the Dr this morning as the eye has become infected! Becareful....

Oh and i agree that contacts are better than glasses when riding but with some eye protection as my normal glasses let too much wind and muck in!

Windy

k-dog

disposables no good for astigmatism either

They are available now - for a decent range of prescriptions from at least 3 manufacturers.

A nice option if you just want to wear them a couple of days a week.

Stu99

Über Member
HLaB said:
Hi I've finally decide to take the plunge and try contact lenses. My first appointment for fitting (Monday) was a nightmare. I went back today (Friday) it was slightly better I managed to get right lens in after a couple of attempts, it took me a lot longer to get the left in however :smile:. I just wondered have any other contact wearers got any tips?

The instruction I received from the optician did not work for me either. Try this - remove lens from container and (assuming you are right handed) apply to middle finger of left hand ready for insertion into left eye (palm should be resting on or near your hairline). Next, with your right hand/arm, reach over the top of your head and gently pull left eyelid up with your second and third fingers. Then, using the forefinger of your left hand and being careful not to dislodge the lens from your finger, pull the lower lid down and gently apply lens to eye with the middle finger. Follow the exact same routine for the right eye (might require a bit more dexterity and is easier with a mirror).

If you struggle to remove lenses then moisten eye with drops prior to removal.

Stu99

Über Member
Stu99 said:
The instruction I received from the optician did not work for me either. Try this - remove lens from container and (assuming you are right handed) apply to middle finger of left hand ready for insertion into left eye (palm should be resting on or near your hairline). Next, with your right hand/arm, reach over the top of your head and gently pull left eyelid up with your second and third fingers. Then, using the forefinger of your left hand and being careful not to dislodge the lens from your finger, pull the lower lid down and gently apply lens to eye with the middle finger. Follow the exact same routine for the right eye (might require a bit more dexterity and is easier with a mirror).

Sorry, instruction about your palm resting on or near your hairline refers to the right hand and not the left - I added this bit in after and in the wrong place!

It should of course read:

The instruction I received from the optician did not work for me either. Try this - remove lens from container and (assuming you are right handed) apply to middle finger of left hand ready for insertion into left eye. Next, with your right hand/arm, reach over the top of your head and gently pull left eyelid up with your second and third fingers (palm should be resting on or near your hairline). Then, using the forefinger of your left hand and being careful not to dislodge the lens from your finger, pull the lower lid down and gently apply lens to eye with the middle finger. Follow the exact same routine for the right eye (might require a bit more dexterity and is easier with a mirror).

If you succeeded with the first instruction then post it on YouTube!

Top Bottom