OT: DIY and downlights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Hi DIY buffs
I want to paint my kitchen ceiling (well, don't want to , but you know..) There are downlights in the ceiling, flush with the surfac, if you see what I mean.
Is there an easy way to remove the metal bit that surrounds the bulb, to make painting easier? Getting the bulb out is easy, but the surround is held in place by spring-loaded retaining clips. My fingers aren't nimble to enough to move the clips in any meaningful way.... Help appreciated!

sheddy

Legendary Member
I would leave alone and paint em (or around them) The clips can be vey strong and as you pull down you run the risk of tearing the plasterboard leaving you with an oversized hole.
Some of the bathroom designs (sealed with glass window) have an inner which stays in place and an outer flange which can be unscrewed to change the bulb and decorate but I guess you won't have these

graham56

Guru
As Sheddy says, be very careful as the last thing you want to be left with is "an oversized hole!" :rolleyes: :?: :?: :sad:

gbb

Legendary Member
I always have a damp cloth ready :?: :8:
If you get any paint on your ring :?: :biggrin: just wipe around the rim :sad: :laugh: with yer damp cloth.
Very effective and satisfying

Oh......sorry...we're talking decorating :rolleyes:

Fnaar said:
Hi DIY buffs
I want to paint my kitchen ceiling (well, don't want to , but you know..) There are downlights in the ceiling, flush with the surfac, if you see what I mean.
Is there an easy way to remove the metal bit that surrounds the bulb, to make painting easier? Getting the bulb out is easy, but the surround is held in place by spring-loaded retaining clips. My fingers aren't nimble to enough to move the clips in any meaningful way.... Help appreciated!

Gently pull down the fitting and press your fingers against the (usually wire) springs just enough to enable the 'free' movement of the fitting. Pull downwards just enough to give you clearance to paint and release the springs, which will hold the fitting out of the ceiling but not damage the plaster etc etc...

Keith Oates

Janner
Some cellotape on the rim before painting and then remove after painting should do the trick!!!!!!!!!!!

Globalti

Legendary Member
FFS stop being such pussies! Just pull them down, press the springs in with finger tips as described above then remove them. Disconnect the wire, push it up out of the way and enjoy a nice uncluttered ceiling for painting.

*wanders off shaking head*

Top Bottom