OT - Plumbing problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Any plumbers about?

Our bathroom sink hot tap has decided to exhibit what I believe the medics would call 'poor flow'. It reduces from an unimpressive trickle when full on to a bare dribble after about 10 seconds. No spluttering at all, but I tried the 'hosepipe to the mains cold tap and backwards flush' technique anyway just in case it was an airlock. Flow seemed better for about 30 seconds, then dried up again.

It might be my imagination, but the tap doesn't seem to turn as far as it used to either.

Other hot taps around the house work fine.

Am I looking at a problem in the tap itself?

Yes, I reckon. You need a new tap or to replace the internals. Do you know the make & model?

domtyler

Über Member
Buy/borrow a cheap tap and connect it to the pipe to confirm or eliminate the tap as the problem.

col

Legendary Member
Could be the washer in the tap has shifted,so its blocking half the water flow,my father in law had the same problem,and had the inside s of the tap replaced,but he had a plumber do this,but we were informed its not a difficult job,if you have the confidence to give it a go.

gbb

Legendary Member
It can be as simple as limescale in the outlet bit of the tap (the black plastic bit..it has a series of 'jets' that can become clogged with scale)
Try some limescale remover in that area...

OP
OP
beanzontoast
Here's the info...

House plumbing is about 25 years old. Had quite a bit of work done in last 20 years.

The bath tap is fine - it's just the sink.

We had the bathroom done about 10 years ago and everything was renewed.

I had a sneaky look in a plumbing book in the bookshop this morning while returning a duplicate Chrimbo present :ohmy: but it didn't have much on this. My one and only DIY book (Readers Digest - gift from father about 5 years ago) has instructions for dismantling taps and changing washers I think. Fortunately, the tap has an individual cut-off valve in-line so I might take a look to see if it's anything obvious.

Mickle - gbb - will give both of these ideas a try. Dom - can see the logic: might ask brother-in-law if he's got a tap lying about.

Probably should wait until after New Year with yours Mickle in case I get in a mess though, you reckon?

gbb

Legendary Member
beanzontoast said:
Here's the info...

House plumbing is about 25 years old. Had quite a bit of work done in last 20 years.

The bath tap is fine - it's just the sink.

We had the bathroom done about 10 years ago and everything was renewed.

I had a sneaky look in a plumbing book in the bookshop this morning while returning a duplicate Chrimbo present :ohmy: but it didn't have much on this. My one and only DIY book (Readers Digest - gift from father about 5 years ago) has instructions for dismantling taps and changing washers I think. Fortunately, the tap has an individual cut-off valve in-line so I might take a look to see if it's anything obvious.

Probably should wait until after New Year in case I get in a mess though, you reckon?[/QUOTE]

Very wise...
A pal of mine did some plumbimg on a sunday evening, broke a bit and had to make panic striken phone calls to all and sundry (me included) to get the bit he wanted.
Worst case scenario of course...but sh!t happens :ohmy::biggrin:

Blue

Legendary Member
I had a similar problem once - turned out to be nothing more than a knackered washer, which took 2 mins to fix. However, it could be that I was lucky!!

Top Bottom