Other people's hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Joe24 said:
We found a bottle in the back garden by accident, its an old one, and its got the top.
Apparently, down at the Cattle Market, there were people that went around at night digging hole in the hope to find bottles, and them having their caps makes them worth more.
Apparently.

... hang on to it Joe, it might be worth 10 or 20p in a few years time
....even more if the Ben Shaw's label is still attached. :stop:

Arch

Married to Night Train
bonj said:
I must say it's unexplainably slightly surreal when you're up right close to a pylon. There's a bit in wharncliffe woods where the bridlepath goes right under the power line really near a pylon, it's almost eerie in a weird way, can't really explain why. But i can't see why one's anydifferent to another - once you've seen one you've seen 'em all!

I agree about them being eerie - especially when they hum, I had to ride under some just after a thunderstorm once, and they were buzzing like mad. My sister used to be afraid of them when she was little, she'd seen a cartoon where they came to life and marched across the countryside.

There are different shapes though. I wouldn't go as far as to collect them, but I do notice them. I saw some in France that were painted red and white stripes, and the white bit was just the colour of the cloudy sky behind, so it looked like the red tops were floating in the air...

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Archie_tect said:
... hang on to it Joe, it might be worth 10 or 20p in a few years time
....even more if the Ben Shaw's label is still attached. :smile:

No label, the writing and picture/symbol is in the glass.
Its got a huge big top that screw into the bottle top, rather then going around it.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Arch said:
I agree about them being eerie - especially when they hum, I had to ride under some just after a thunderstorm once, and they were buzzing like mad. My sister used to be afraid of them when she was little, she'd seen a cartoon where they came to life and marched across the countryside.

There are different shapes though. I wouldn't go as far as to collect them, but I do notice them. I saw some in France that were painted red and white stripes, and the white bit was just the colour of the cloudy sky behind, so it looked like the red tops were floating in the air...

That's your old eyes playing tricks on you;)

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
rich p said:
I imagine that the field full of metal detecting folk looked over the hedge and thought that I was the loon as I cycled by this morning but I can't imagine ever wanting to swap places.
Any hobbies you don't fancy?

Well, this made me look rather silly:blush:

tyred

Legendary Member
Dayvo said:
My brother has a mate who collects tractor seats! :headshake:

I know quite a few in local vintage rally circles who do this. What they're after isn't really tractor seats but seats of reapers, binders and other old horse drawn implements. Some had lovely designs and nice metalwork.

I just collect the tractors and nobody will be getting my seats:biggrin:

I have never really understood the point of golf. I agree with (I think) Mark Twain who said it spoiled a nice walk. I don't see the appeal of stamp collecting either but I wouldn't mind giving metal detecting a go.

Globalti

Legendary Member
bonj said:
snowboarding/skiing. The blokes at my work are into it, but what's the point in a hobby that you can only do once or twice a year, unless you're really rich? It's essentially a holiday-only hobby isn't it.

Skiing isn't a hobby, it's a sport and a very strenuous and exhilarating one at that. Even blasting down a hill on a bike doesn't beat the sensation of swooping down a well-manicured piste or some good off-piste spring snow in glorious sunshine and crystal clean air on a good pair of skis that kick you back out of each turn.

Rhythm Thief said:
One of the hobbies I don't get is mountain biking. I have some friends who are greener than green (no car, walk or cycle everywhere, recycle everything) ... until it comes to hiring a car, sticking the bikes in the back of it and driving halfway across the country to tear around a purpose built MTB facility somewhere in Wales or the Lake District. I went with them once and it felt a bit like being in the sandpit at playschool, or something. I can see the fun of using a mountain bike to actually get somewhere you can't get to any other way, but otherwise ... no. I don't get it at all.

Fully agree with this - coming to MTBing from a mountaineering background I have always viewed MTBs as a means of getting further into inaccessible places, an alternative to walking boots or touring skis. On the two occasions I have visited trail centres I have bailed about 1/3 round the circuit out of sheer boredom and gone off to explore the area.

Top Bottom