Other people's hobbies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
andrew-the-tortoise said:
We often get lots of people on the local field with dogs, I think its called fly-ball.

On a ride last year or the year before even, I stopped and watched an important fly-ball "match" I found by chance. Good fun and great exercise for the dogs!

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Each to their own... hard to contemplate that people have lives outside cycling... but it's a diverse and exciting world y'know! :smile:

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
dellzeqq said:
Metal-detecting, golf and cycling are each, in their own way, a kind of solace in a world brimming with anxiety. It ill behoves us to sneer.

I don't think I sneered; just saying that I personally didn't fancy it - it being metal detecting.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
rich p said:
Blimey, I've never even heard of that one! It makes metal detecting for ring pulls sound positively orgasmic.

An advisory teacher from Bradford died pursuing bottle digging. The trench that he'd dug collapsed on him and he suffocated. My interest in the hobby died with him.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Archie_tect said:
Is that a hint about people not cycling 'seriously' Joe?

No, just people not cycling in general.

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
vernon said:
An advisory teacher from Bradford died pursuing bottle digging. The trench that he'd dug collapsed on him and he suffocated. My interest in the hobby died with him.

I suppose the hobby has decreased in popularity since community recycling took off and bottles became more easily available. :smile:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
We found a bottle in the back garden by accident, its an old one, and its got the top.
Apparently, down at the Cattle Market, there were people that went around at night digging hole in the hope to find bottles, and them having their caps makes them worth more.
Apparently.

One of the hobbies I don't get is mountain biking. I have some friends who are greener than green (no car, walk or cycle everywhere, recycle everything) ... until it comes to hiring a car, sticking the bikes in the back of it and driving halfway across the country to tear around a purpose built MTB facility somewhere in Wales or the Lake District. I went with them once and it felt a bit like being in the sandpit at playschool, or something. I can see the fun of using a mountain bike to actually get somewhere you can't get to any other way, but otherwise ... no. I don't get it at all.

bonj2

Rhythm Thief said:
One of the hobbies I don't get is mountain biking. I have some friends who are greener than green (no car, walk or cycle everywhere, recycle everything) ... until it comes to hiring a car, sticking the bikes in the back of it and driving halfway across the country to tear around a purpose built MTB facility somewhere in Wales or the Lake District. I went with them once and it felt a bit like being in the sandpit at playschool, or something. I can see the fun of using a mountain bike to actually get somewhere you can't get to any other way, but otherwise ... no. I don't get it at all.

can you do it? No. Can I? Yes. There you go then - that's the fun in it. I'm better at something than you :angry: haha :smile:

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Rhythm Thief said:
....I have some friends who are greener than green (no car, walk or cycle everywhere, recycle everything) ... until it comes to hiring a car, sticking the bikes in the back of it and driving halfway across the country to tear around a purpose built MTB facility somewhere in Wales or the Lake District....I can see the fun of using a mountain bike to actually get somewhere you can't get to any other way....

That's what confuses me too [not difficult mind! :stop:]... people drive up to Keilder to cycle round it and then drive home again... I suppose it might get tedious doing all the possible combinations of circuits around where you live ...eventually!

Top Bottom