Ottolock defeats thief...just

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I would love to know how easy a regular cable lock is to cut through for comparison but am unwilling to sacrifice one.
We've cut 4 on club rides that I know of.

Cutting took about 30 sec to 1 min with side-cutters, and 5 or 6 minutes with the cutting bit of ordinary 6" pliers

2 x key at home (moral: always carry your lock in a locked state, so you need the key to attach the bike to something)
1 x sticky lock that failed to unlock during 5 minutes of attempts by various people, but unlocked easily as soon as the cable was cut.
1 x key lost at pub; found on the wall-side pedal after the lock was cut and the bike moved.

Tangoup51

The problem is that for out-of-city use which makes up almost all my cycling there are few convenient Sheffield stands. D-locks simply won't work as I need something that can wrap around a tree really or at least a fat lamp post or something. I've eyed up the Abus Bordo locks but these are also on the short side. That leaves, what, long cable locks?

In very rural areas a cable lock (or no lock) is probably fine but they become a bit sketchy as you get closer to urban centres. I have a relatively beefy cable lock but I'm not sure how secure it really is and it is very awkward to use thanks to its stiffness and its desire to spring back into a coil. It ain't light either, although that is not my main concern.

The Ottolock seems to hit a nice combination of being light and packable while still being a significant barrier to petty thieves. The rub is, of course, the price.

It seems that you need something that can survive a bad day at a cafe stop where the bike is out of your sight & both be flexible enough to be packaged conveniently and wrap around odd-sized obstacles. Something with nice weight & price too...

Honestly from the top of my head you can find things like ..
upload.jpg

As an example. This is something I use to have for my "cafe" stops. - it's an alarmed cable-lock.
This one has a 12mm diameter cable, so it's a good medium size between fat and skinny, the cable length is 25 inches long.

It weights less than 290 grams and can folded into about an area of 20.25 square inch size by less than an inch depth.

Which is enough to easily fit into a jersey pocket. I recall being able to fit Two of these in one of mine, though it did get tight with two (but then again it was a cheap jersey.)

this costs, £10.00 and the most expensive thing on it, is the alarm. Which is very, very loud. Very loud. 110db infact, and the alarm was triggered by interference with the Cable, i,e, tugged, pinched, moved, etc and it worked like clock-work, always consistent.

Obviously you'd think for £10.00 there must be something you're missing, well the truth is you're not, the whole unit is very cheap to make so that's why it's not expensive. The steel used isn't the best quality and the majority of it is plastic and rubber to save costs and ultimately weight too.
But at the same time, the key/cylinder is smooth and doesn't jam, you can toggle the alarm on/off, it locks firmly and audibly and it doesn't feel like it will fall apart in seconds of a real attack.

But you must think surely this has no comparison of security against the £50 ottolock and you'd be right -- except if you was using it as a cafe lock, not an "overnight" lock.
Because you'd always be within earshot of the bike, as opposed to leaving it overnight outside where you couldn't hear it.

The thief would probably run too, because when the alarms going he knows you're on the way to see what's going on. - Also, thick cable locks can be quite hard to just "cut" cleanly in one go, even with short-handled bolt croppers.

So when you stop and think about it, you do get alot for £10.00

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I think the lesson to be learned here is that you simply can't expect to expect to be able to keep hold of a desirable bike if you park it on-street in dodgy locations. Expensive (or even just nice) bikes really have to be saved for those occasions where you have control over the parking/storage situation at both ends of your journey. If you have to leave the bike out of sight, or on the street, then only use a low value/undesirable bike for those journeys.
The only bike I will willingly leave on the street in my area is my skip recue job, and I've even gone to the trouble of painting what is just a low-value 1990s Apollo MTB in midnight blue, to destroy any remaining vestige of stolen resale value by making it's brand identity anonymous. I've also got a duct tape repaired saddle fitted and left the horrible rusty wheels on rather than swap them for tidy ones. It looks like a total minger, which is simply not worth nicking.

Last edited:

Levo-Lon

Guru
Yeah, if you have an expensive bike in a theft hotspot then battery powered angle-grinders are a worry. My understanding though is that most will run out of juice before getting through a thick-shackled double-locking D-lock. Or was it before getting through two such D-locks?

Clearly a lot of thieves have nothing but an old pair of side-cutting pliers though, or bolt cutters, so it is worth protecting against such tools.

Most thieves are toss pot junkies and chancers so you may escape with a decent lock.
I leave my lock at work as its a monster motorcycle job and its secure while im working plus cctv.
I work on the 1minute and its gone adage so make that minute count.
Once that lock fails their gone,and they dont tend to care about being caught if they are desperate.

Sad thing is a fantastic expensive bike is £20 baggy to a junkie as is a 100 quid one

Most thieves are toss pot junkies and chancers so you may escape with a decent lock.
I leave my lock at work as its a monster motorcycle job and its secure while im working plus cctv.
I work on the 1minute and its gone adage so make that minute count.
Once that lock fails their gone,and they dont tend to care about being caught if they are desperate.

Sad thing is a fantastic expensive bike is £20 baggy to a junkie as is a 100 quid one
One of the €8,000 vuelta bikes was nicked last year and turned up with junkie trying to sell it for €80 :ohmy:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Most thieves are toss pot junkies and chancers

Exactly right. The same sort of scumbags you get aggressively begging for "any spare change for a cup of tea, mate?" and rummaging through the donations left outside the door of the local charity shop. They'd nick the laces out of your shoes given half a chance, let alone take your bike.

DRM

Guru
Yeah, if you have an expensive bike in a theft hotspot then battery powered angle-grinders are a worry. My understanding though is that most will run out of juice before getting through a thick-shackled double-locking D-lock. Or was it before getting through two such D-locks?

Clearly a lot of thieves have nothing but an old pair of side-cutting pliers though, or bolt cutters, so it is worth protecting against such tools.
Our fabricator/welder at work uses a battery powered angle grinder, and with the cutting discs he uses I wouldn't give ANY lock a snowballs chance in hell of staying in one piece, it really does go through all metals like a hot knife through butter.

OP
OP
Randy Butternubs

Randy Butternubs

Über Member
Our fabricator/welder at work uses a battery powered angle grinder, and with the cutting discs he uses I wouldn't give ANY lock a snowballs chance in hell of staying in one piece, it really does go through all metals like a hot knife through butter.

There exist some monstrous cordless grinders but I'm not sure how well your average consumer tool will fair against a really tough lock. I think I've seen figures like "3 minutes" bandied about (for two cuts) which is a lot of battery power. My impression was that even very large batteries only lasted around 5 minutes if you are really giving it some.

That said, I think you need to be prepared for any bike left on the streets to be replaced at short notice; either use a cheap one or insure it.

Tangoup51

4.5 sq inches would be, for example, something like 4.5 inches long by 1 inch wide.

4.5 inches square is 4.5 inches by 4.5 inches, which is 20.25 square inches.

Do you mean, square inches is the rounded answer and inches squared is the base answer?

Top Bottom