Ottolock defeats thief...just

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
There exist some monstrous cordless grinders but I'm not sure how well your average consumer tool will fair against a really tough lock. I think I've seen figures like "3 minutes" bandied about (for two cuts) which is a lot of battery power. My impression was that even very large batteries only lasted around 5 minutes if you are really giving it some.

That said, I think you need to be prepared for any bike left on the streets to be replaced at short notice; either use a cheap one or insure it.

Do Kryptonite still give their "£500 if someone nicks your bike while secured to something solid using our lock" type guarantee?

Edit - yurp, they sure do. https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/customer-service/register-for-anti-theft.html

Thorn Sherpa

Über Member
1st I've actually heard of these locks! Good site the guarantee is definitely a big selling point in my eyes. I'm not one for locking my bike up in public, the only time my bike is left unattended is at work (chained up on site) or if I'm in the car. Would be handy to have a lock that id be confident using in public places when I'm out on rides though.

gaijintendo

Veteran
It seems that you need something that can survive a bad day at a cafe stop where the bike is out of your sight & both be flexible enough to be packaged conveniently and wrap around odd-sized obstacles. Something with nice weight & price too...

Honestly from the top of my head you can find things like ..
View attachment 391526
As an example. This is something I use to have for my "cafe" stops. - it's an alarmed cable-lock.
This one has a 12mm diameter cable, so it's a good medium size between fat and skinny, the cable length is 25 inches long.

It weights less than 290 grams and can folded into about an area of 20.25 square inch size by less than an inch depth.

Which is enough to easily fit into a jersey pocket. I recall being able to fit Two of these in one of mine, though it did get tight with two (but then again it was a cheap jersey.)

this costs, £10.00 and the most expensive thing on it, is the alarm. Which is very, very loud. Very loud. 110db infact, and the alarm was triggered by interference with the Cable, i,e, tugged, pinched, moved, etc and it worked like clock-work, always consistent.

Obviously you'd think for £10.00 there must be something you're missing, well the truth is you're not, the whole unit is very cheap to make so that's why it's not expensive. The steel used isn't the best quality and the majority of it is plastic and rubber to save costs and ultimately weight too.
But at the same time, the key/cylinder is smooth and doesn't jam, you can toggle the alarm on/off, it locks firmly and audibly and it doesn't feel like it will fall apart in seconds of a real attack.

But you must think surely this has no comparison of security against the £50 ottolock and you'd be right -- except if you was using it as a cafe lock, not an "overnight" lock.
Because you'd always be within earshot of the bike, as opposed to leaving it overnight outside where you couldn't hear it.

The thief would probably run too, because when the alarms going he knows you're on the way to see what's going on. - Also, thick cable locks can be quite hard to just "cut" cleanly in one go, even with short-handled bolt croppers.

So when you stop and think about it, you do get alot for £10.00

Not wanting to fan the fires of the 4.5inch crew...
But it may be a 12mm cable... but how much of that is steel?

I totally appreciate the use case, and the alarm. But I suspect you could cut that with some rusty secateurs, then just cycle away from the noise.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Not wanting to fan the fires of the 4.5inch crew...
But it may be a 12mm cable... but how much of that is steel?

I totally appreciate the use case, and the alarm. But I suspect you could cut that with some rusty secateurs, then just cycle away from the noise.
Something more sensible than rusty secateurs but yes, it's only useful as a sole lock when you're within earshot and will react once the alarm sounds.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Since the lock was toast I had a go cutting it up with various tools.

View attachment 391501

From left to right we have a junior hacksaw, side-cutting pliers, small bolt croppers and long handled end-cutting pliers. Ignore the cable lock.

Hacksaw - cuts through easily given very good support in a vice but is much slower and more awkward in other situations. When cinched tight to a pole I think it might not be possible to get a hacksaw on it at all. Even a tiny bit of wiggle makes it very difficult to saw.

Side-cutting pliers - Very hard work. I tried both nibbling at it and flexing the lock back and forth to fatigue it but neither method worked very well. I did manage to get through eventually by taking small bites and levering against an immovable object. I suspect this is what the thief was using.

Bolt croppers - These were highly ineffective. They made a cracking noise on the first cut but seemed to do relatively little to the steel bands. I think it was mostly just compressing the sandwich together without cutting.

End-cutting pliers - These were quite effective. I was able to nibble through fairly fast with the beefy head and long handles. However, the bulk of the head makes it hard to get a suitable angle on the lock and I suspect that when actually locked to a bike a thief might not be able to get the angle.

I have no other experience cutting locks and all the tools above were cheap and unloved. On the other hand, I feel a bike thief is unlikely to be rocking Knipex side-cutters and I was working mostly at a comfortable height with the lock in a bench vice.

I would love to know how easy a regular cable lock is to cut through for comparison but am unwilling to sacrifice one. The one in the picture is 8mm diameter and roughly the same length as the Ottolock and weighs 300g. The long Ottolock weighs about 240g so it is lighter while being (I strongly suspect) more resistant to attack. I feel that a huge advantage of the Ottolock over a cable lock is the ability to cinch it down tight - I don't think this aspect can be understated. A cable lock can generally have a loop pulled into a comfortable position to be worked on. When locked up tight I think one might be able to make it impossible for a hacksaw to be used and almost impossible for bulky end-cutting pliers or bolt croppers. Side-cutting pliers will slip in but as I found and as shown by the real thief is is not very easy to get through with these.

Overall, I am quite impressed and would rather like one. It is light and easy to pack whilst offering what I feel is significant resistance to petty thieves. However, I agree with @Tangoup52 that it is rather expensive compared to other options. I'll be keeping an eye out to see if we get a proper UK importer which should drop the price considerably.
What you need is one of these, https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dcg412n-18v-li-ion-xr-5-angle-grinder-bare/34861

dodgy

Relevant external thread https://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=13076261
And video

View: https://vimeo.com/196548742
(I think this is the video that is blocked on youtube due to a defamation complaint)

Edit: I think more likely this is the video that Litelok used to demonstrate how well the product stands up to attack.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

As noted above, the "12mm" cable is unlikely to be 12mm of wire. The picture shows an amount of plastic covering. If I were to be in the business of nicking bikes and couldn't get hold of a battery powered disc cutter, I'd use some GBFO wire cutters with overlapping blades not bolt croppers. Of course using huge bolt croppers against cable in a promotional video makes the lock look good.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer

People go on about battery life, but what counts is the abrasive disc used. A 1mm slitting disc will cut through a D-lock or heavy chain like a hot knife through butter with hardly any pressure applied, and you don't need to make 2 cuts of a chain either if you cut the link face-on so the grinder goes through both sides of the link at the same time.

dodgy

Shame he's left his video open to accusations of unfair play. I doubt the cover would have made much of a difference, there's probably other videos online that I can't be bothered searching for now :biggrin:

Top Bottom