OU course, back on track- yay!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I was going to turn it in, I was so far behind. Assignment due next week and hadn't read the unit.

I was pretty motivated previously, started a stats course this year but I've been getting out on the bike, watching movies, pottering around down the allotment, lazing around in bed, posting dumb comments on forums and mostly not getting on with the course.

So this weekend I did the assignment by skim-reading the relevant bits as I needed them. Done, ready to submit. I reckon i've done it pretty good too.

Didn't get out on the bike though.

rh100

Good luck with it.

I ditched the ou after last years attempt, just lost all motivation and my assignments were all last minute jobbies. I got as far as a diploma, but I think I need something more structured to continue to try and get a degree.

Cycling and allotment duties are recent additions to the list of things to do with my time, I would definitely struggle with OU now :rofl:

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
That's one of the problems with OU courses. They tend to run over the summer, just when you want to get out on your bike.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Well done - I'm a part-time student at the moment :wacko: it's bloody hard work and seriously difficult to get motivated when you've a *cough* full-time job, busy home life, bicycles to tend to, etc. etc.

Maizie

Veteran
Yellow Fang said:
That's one of the problems with OU courses. They tend to run over the summer, just when you want to get out on your bike.
They are moving more and more courses to October starts, which run to the traditional academic year. Back in the day, when lots of courses had residential schools, they would be held in the summer months at a physical university, so obviously had to be while all the 'real' students were on holiday.
Now that virtually no courses come with an integral residential course - but there are still plenty of resi courses, just they count separately - this is less of an issue so course starts can shift. And you can get your summer back.

Well done on getting back on track palinurus, it can be hard when you get other things in life that call louder!

(Eleventh year, thirteenth course...kind of addicted now...)

Some of the courses have a November start so pick those ones so they don't interfere with the cycling. Having to run courses over the summer is as much a pain in the *rse for the cycling OU employees (and there are lots of us) as it is for the students!

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Hmmm, I didn't know there was a move towards courses starting at more sensible times and getting bits of the summer back, excellent!

Most of the courses I've been involved with (business school) have two presentations per year - I guess that's not true for all of them though. Best to check with an educational advisor in your nearest regional office if you want to know...

marinyork

Oh I never deal with anything like that but thanks for the tip, it appears not for courses I'm doing/likely to do. It's just a major nuisance for the cycling and that my best work is produced in the late winter and spring.

MichaelM

Guru
I have a TMA to finish by Fri. That will leave just 2 TMA's to do of my last O.U. course - EVER!

Then I will stop, and have no intention of ever studying again.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I'm doing an OU course at the moment and am a lazy b*stard when it comes to studying at the best of times... so I was quite amazed when I sent off my last TMA a full week early as I was on holiday when it was due (last week)!!! :tongue::ohmy:

Probably get a sh*te mark, but hey, you can't please everyone. :smile:

Maizie

Veteran
Uncle Mort said:
That's impressive - what are you doing?
Nearly done on a BA(Hons) Humanities with Classical Studies.

It's taken so long as I keep getting distracted, and now have about half of a BSc(Hons) Open - mainly in physics/astro stuff. I have a Certificate in Astronomy and Planetary Science.

I keep saying when the BA is done, that'll be that, but I suspect that the BSc may follow...complete insanity really, especially as before I started all this I already had up to masters level in biology...

I have a TMA due in tomorrow, and now I am about to take my lunch break and attack it with a red pen in an attempt to get it in some sort of order!

marinyork

Any good Maizie? I'm sort of the same, I don't need to do any of it but looking at courses in completely different areas now just to see. I did a physics course and didn't really like it, thought it was incredibly waffly (but in fairness that's physicists for you).

OP
OP
palinurus

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I got so used to courses starting in February (well, xmas really- whenever the first mailing arrived) and running 'till October when I was doing my degree that I couldn't imagine starting at any other time.

Top Bottom