Ouch - Head on with another cyclist - Black eye

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I have a lovely shiner today. On my commute home from Reading yesterday, I was passing under a bridge on a cycle towpath, I was on the left hand side and another cyclist came hurtling around the corner and smacked into me on my side of the underpass. The other cylist apologised and said sorry, my brakes aren't very good. No shoot Sherlock. I was not going at any speed but the other person was flyin'. My cycling glasses whacked my face and it is cut and bruised on one side.
I try commuting by bike (along cycle paths) at least three times a week and it is soul destroying to have this sort of thing happen.
Anyway, the black eye will pass and i'll be back on it next week.

Kryton521

Über Member
That's really bad, but sadly part of the modern problem, "All about me! ME!!! ME!!! And then some more ME!!" Selfish and stupid attitude led to you being injured

Kryton521

Über Member
The same sort of thing happened to me a few years ago. I was on a steel-framed Batavus, the other person was on a plastic bike. Mine just had a few more scratches, the plastic bike was probably a write-off.
Good on yer!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Sorry about that. I have had several incidents down here like that as cyclists like riding on the wrong side of the road, either through laziness or a false sense of security. Only once have I had a collision though.

C R

Guru
I have had a few near misses with cyclists riding towards me on "my" side of the path. There's a lady with a posh looking bike who does it all the time, with a few of us at work having had altercations with her because of this, still she keeps riding on her right, we haven't managed to work out why.

C R

Guru
Clearly the guy is never going to meet a small child on the towpath
Let's hope he doesn't.

Smudge

Veteran
I've encountered many cyclists that dont seem to understand keeping to the left when approaching another cyclist coming towards them on a shared path.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
That one cyclist makes it bad for the rest of us. I think that is why car drivers treat us with contempt now a days. They see a cyclist and think " I`am not slowing down for him/her". I hope that cyclist sorts his brakes before he comes to a junction and can`t stop. Poor excuse in my book.
Hope the black eye soon fades.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have had a few near misses with cyclists riding towards me on "my" side of the path. There's a lady with a posh looking bike who does it all the time, with a few of us at work having had altercations with her because of this, still she keeps riding on her right, we haven't managed to work out why.
Bloody foreigners coming over here, taking over our towpaths, :laugh::laugh:

GetFatty

Über Member
I had a head on collision with a cyclist years ago on Tatsfield Lane (for those of you that know it). I was last in a team of 3 so two of my friends had already gone around the corner when I went head first into the second rider of the other group, both of us in the middle of a very narrow lane.

He sued me for £6000 spouting all kinds of nonsense from he'd never be able to cycle again to his daughter had failed her GCSEs due to worry. Not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.

• Wow
Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
I had a head on collision with a cyclist years ago on Tatsfield Lane (for those of you that know it). I was last in a team of 3 so two of my friends had already gone around the corner when I went head first into the second rider of the other group, both of us in the middle of a very narrow lane.

He sued me for £6000 spouting all kinds of nonsense from he'd never be able to cycle again to his daughter had failed her GCSEs due to worry. Not that I'm still bitter about it or anything.
OMGGGG

Top Bottom