Ouch! Just fell off my new....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not sure if this is a bit naughty. But check out http://www.middle-age-shred.com

Great forum for old non-young skaters. They regularly arrange to meet up and do bowls, etc.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
An excuse to get out my poor parenting (on my part) & skateboarding story

Son #2 was 7 and had a normal skateboard, like a lot of his mates did. He would happily play on his own on it. He came indoors looking a bit upset one day and said he'd tripped up and banged his arm. Never mentioned skateboarding. I said "you'll be fine, just a trip, happens all the time"

Fast forward to the following day and son #2 and I are playing football in the back garden. I get a bit rough and down he goes. Massive scream of pain and he's holding his arm. Except this time the arm isn't straight. It has a sort of "kink" in the forearm. WTF. Son then admits he didn't trip up yesterday. He built a skateboard ramp, went for it, fell off badly but didn't want to tell his parents.

Fast forward to A&E...he's in hospital for 3 days having a general anaesthetic so they can reset his badly broken radius

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I wasn't particularly good when skateboarding was an age appropriate activity for me. Since then, every five years or so, I would wonder whether that long period of time without setting foot on a skateboard had transformed me into someone who *could* skateboard, and dig the board out of the garage again. Invariably, it had not.

I've learned my lesson.

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
I hope you've got all the right team kit to ride this board in style, FF. Could we have a picture before you set out? (Just in case you break something before you get back)
@Drago's self-inflating gimp suit?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
This IS the excuse to work on my flexibility.....
Buy some armoured snow boarding undershorts. Swap out the elastomers in your trucks to something that suits your weight, and for the love of God, get a deck with wheel cut outs to avoid wheelbite. No amount of flexibility will save you when you carve too deep and brake the wheels on your board.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
My three boards went to Oxfam last month, along with my pads and all my board tools and elastomers. I enjoyed longboarding at Amager Strandpark across two summers but Blighty in November? No ta.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
giphy.gif

Attachments

• giphy.gif
    giphy.gif
    8.9 MB · Views: 10
Top Bottom