Ouch! - Left Hooked :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

smallfish

I honestly thought I was too smart and observant and it would never happen to me but today proved me wrong.

Riding at about 20mph up a 'cycle lane' on a wide suburban road, I eased off a little as I approached the back of a line of stationary traffic and a car parked in the cycle lane ahead.
The traffic was nose to tail and no-one was going anywhere so I pulled round the parked car (undertaking the rearmost couple of cars in the traffic queue at the same time) Just as I got past, a white Micra decided he wasn't going to wait in the traffic queue - he was going to use the cycle lane as a short cut to get to a side street about 10 metres ahead of the parked car.
I had no time at all to react - i clattered into his mirror, bounced off the side of his car and went flying... I got up thinking 'that wasn't as painful as i thought it was going to be' just in time to see the tosser drive off without stopping.

A woman who'd seen the whole thing did stop, called the police and then put my bike in the back of her car and drove me and my bike to work - so BIG thanks owed there. I have a big bruise on my knee, few scrapes and bruises on my shins, ankles and hip - and feel a bit shaky.
Bike seemed OK - handlebars twisted round and bizarrely my back wheel came unattached - haven't properly checked it over yet though.

I know I should go and make a statement to the Police but I don't know if I can be bothered... I know the arguments FOR going down the police route but given that I am not 100% sure of the reg number is there really any point?

Yes. Report. You were knocked off and they drove away with full knowledge of what they had done. They are scum and of there is a chance of them getting caught you have to do your best to help catch them. You might be surprised what the police can do with a bit of a licence plate and car make. Also there might be CCTV near by that could help find the car.

Get yourself to a GP or a&e and get those injuries looked at. You will still not know the full extent of your injuries this soon after. (An ambulance should have been sent to you!) Are you a member of the CTC? If not it would be worth joining as they could help if the driver is caught and compensation is pursued.

The most important thing is that you are ok and you take it easy for a few days.

Danny

Legendary Member
Nasty ;):blush:!:biggrin:

Given that the driver must have been aware of the accident you should definitely report him. Even if you have part of the reg number, the police can probably locate him if you can provide a description of the car.

Assuming that the driver who gave you a lift will act as a witness, you have a good chance of getting this idiot prosecuted.

Also get your bike checked over by an LBS. If there is any damage you should claim against the driver.

I still have a loose piece of bone in my elbow which was caused by being doored, I didn't notice the damage at the time and I let it go because I felt sorry for the old tw@t who sent me over the bars. I wonder how many more people he was able to injure before someone reported him?

15 years ago and I still cant put any weight on that elbow.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
In the case of an RTA* is it purely the drivers responsibility to ensure the police are informed? Is there a legal responsibility on the cyclist (in this case)

*where someones injured

domtyler

Über Member
Without the registration you wont get too far. Even with it, have you got two independent witnesses? After all that, take it to court and for all your hassle you will see him walk off with a £15 fine. Insurance? Yeah, if you fancy a two year long headache for a thousand pounds then go for it.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
domtyler said:
Without the registration you wont get too far. Even with it, have you got two independent witnesses? After all that, take it to court and for all your hassle you will see him walk off with a £15 fine. Insurance? Yeah, if you fancy a two year long headache for a thousand pounds then go for it.

do nowt, get nowt.

Don't report it, it never happened...

Only hassle and a headache if you let it be.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
domtyler said:

Congratulations dom this has to be the most patronising and defeatist post you have written to date.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
tdr1nka said:
Congratulations dom this has to be the most patronising and defeatist post you have written to date.

I'm glad you wrote that because I was totally thrown by the avatar and thought it was Arch. I couldn't believe she would say such a thing and was quite stunned for a minute or two...

MERV

I did wonder about dom's post.

Sorry Dom.
34zad74.gif

Origamist

Legendary Member
Report it and provide the contact details of your witness. It is possible you will see the Micra again as it might be part of his/her regular commute. If so, get the reg and check for wing mirror and panel damage.

I wouldn't expect too much in terms of a result, but you might be surprised as it was a H and R. However, the driver will indubitably say he was not aware of the collision etc.