Ouch! - Left Hooked :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yenrod

Dam unfortunate that Small' - hope your injuries aint to bad ! and you get well soon - and Its better to report it as the police are in 'their industry' that surprisingly gets results from the most littlest of information !

02GF74

Über Member
REPORT IT.

the van may be on its regular route or was cocked on cmaera- there's plenty enough of those.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Failing to Stop is a very serious offence, and it's one where the police generally do make an effort.

As others have said, it is quite likely the car can be traced - if the police know the time of the accident, they can get CCTV footage either there or back up the road, but you need to report it asap as many CCTV systems still use tapes, which get regularly re-used.

Ben

small fish

Thanks for replies and concerns - points taken about reporting - I will come into work via the police station tomorrow and see what they say.
The witness who called the police when it happened gave them a reg number (and I got a reference) so you never know they might have already found the driver with an incriminating dent in the side of his car...

Bike seems to have survived, front wheel has a slight buckle which will need sorting, forks look OK but i'll worry about them being bent until i've had it checked over properly. Can't work out whick part(s) of the bike hit the car - it seems unmarked but it made a hell of a bang at the time! I think my handlebar hit the mirror first, then my front wheel hit the car before i bounced off and landed on my left side.

I'm still a bit stiff all down my left side and have a nice greeny purple knee but thanks to the power of Arnica the golf ball on my shin has gone down and I'm planning to ride home (slowly) tonight.

OP
OP
S

smallfish

So, I went to the police station...

They said I couldn't report it because more than 24 hours had passed since the accident. The desk person said she'd 'make a note of it' and took down a few basic details.

U

User482

smallfish said:

They said I couldn't report it because more than 24 hours had passed since the accident. The desk person said she'd 'make a note of it' and took down a few basic details.

Surely it was already reported by the witness?

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
And the winner of the "Piss off, I don’t wanna do my job" award this week goes to (what did you say her name was?

Hold on thought it was already reported – witness contacted police with reg No etc…?​

Arch

Married to Night Train
smallfish said:

;)

But you said a witnes reported it at the time? What if you'd ended up unconsious for two days before reporting it yourself, would it still be too late then? Is this really true, or a fob off, does anyone know?

I have to say, I get more depressed by the day about the prospects of ever getting justice in a case like this. I'm not quite down to Dom's level (and I'd like my elephant back), but really the above makes you despair...

spindrift

I have to say, I get more depressed by the day about the prospects of ever getting justice in a case like this. I'm not quite down to Dom's level (and I'd like my elephant back), but really the above makes you despair...

Too true mate.

OP
OP
S

smallfish

All above is pretty much what I thought - but unfortunately I am not the most pushy of people and I didn't start to think it until after I had left the station.

It wasn't a real police officer who too took my details and the only time she appeared to show any interest in what I was saying was when I said I'd hit the car - in her mind that seemed to make me the one in the wrong even though I twice explained that I'd been in a cycle lane and the car had turned suddenly into my path so i couldn't avoid hitting it.

At the time the witness did call the police and was told they were too busy to send anyone. If it happens again maybe I'll 'play dead' or feign serious injury so they have to send someone.

Arch

Married to Night Train
I'd suggest a letter to the chief constable I think. Perhaps copied to local press?

So I wonder how dead you have to be before they bother with you? I'm getting seriously disillusioned...

Arch said:
I'd suggest a letter to the chief constable I think. Perhaps copied to local press?

So I wonder how dead you have to be before they bother with you? I'm getting seriously disillusioned...

I've still not had any reply about my incident I reported (very close overtake). This is despite the public statement by the police. I've phone twice (over the last two weeks) to chase this up and both times I was told the officer would get back to me. Nothing. I still have the STV reporters number.......

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Arch said:

Perfect result for them - if you're dead theres no way you're reporting it in 24 hours! :biggrin:

Danny

Legendary Member
smallfish said:

They said I couldn't report it because more than 24 hours had passed since the accident.

Whoever told you this was talking complete bollocks. There is no rule that I know of which says you have to report road traffic accidents within 24 hours.

As Arch says you should write to the Chief Constable. Say you are lodging a formal complaint about the failure of the staff at the Police station to take your report seriously. If you say it is a "formal complaint" they will be obliged to investigate why you were treated like that.

From you description of what happened, it sounds like the driver went out of his way to try to injure you, so I would also suggest that you say that you want to report this incident as an assault, not just a road traffic accident. Assaults are usually higher up the list of police of police priorities that traffic offences so this might elicit more of a response.