Ouch! - Left Hooked :-(

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Do we seem to be hearing more of these ‘diversionary tactics’ from civilian Police staff? Its like trying to get past the doctors receptionist!​

24 hour time limit on reporting a hit and run?
I’d be tempted to get that in writing from the station commander (superintendent – or whoever is in charge) and also cc your letter to your local MP – highlighting the fact that lots of crime must be going un reported if the police aren’t allowing crimes longer than a day old to be reported. – I guarantee you’ll get a helpful response from your MP

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
magnatom said:
I've still not had any reply about my incident I reported (very close overtake). This is despite the public statement by the police. I've phone twice (over the last two weeks) to chase this up and both times I was told the officer would get back to me. Nothing. I still have the STV reporters number.......

What a redder the polis would get when STV turned up with the cameras asking why they told the nation to report such things so they could deal with them, then ignored them instead. They wouldn't have been telling lies, would they ? Shockaroonie xx(

Go on - call STV :angry:

i think the police personnel are confusing the legal requirement on drivers "of mechanically propelled vehicles" to report where details have not been exchanged "(a) must do so at a police station or to a constable, and
(:smile: must do so as soon as is reasonably practicable and, in any case, within twenty-four hours of the occurrence of the accident." The drivers failure to do so is a breach of RTA.

Source: http://www.dft.gov.uk/collisionreporting/Law/default.asp

There is more: http://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q585.htm

Here, they comment that not all police forces will accept a report after 24 hours. Seems debatable: a way of massaging crime numbers perhaps, and an invitation to hit and run merchants to avoid detection. How that applies to a cyclist who is a victim of a hit/run is debatable. The second para. of the reference above states:
"Most crimes do not have a time limit on for reporting them
The crimes that do have time limits are summary only which means that they can only be tried at a Magistrates Court so are relatively minor offences, they must be prosecuted within 6 months (e.g. common assault, harassment and take without owners consent (TWOC))."

That should give them something to chew on! Suggest the OP puts matter in writing and asks them to pursue the drivers breach of RTA.

small fish

Thanks again for replies and concern.

In terms of the police lack of interest I will write a polite letter to Chief Constable letting him know how disappointed I am in the Police response to me being knocked of my bike, while in a cycle lane, by a car that then drove off leaving me in the gutter. I will also ask for an explanation of why I was told I could not report this crime.

(The incident took place at the Junction between Upper Chorlton Road and Knutsford Avenue in Manchester - I would guess the owner lives in that vicinity. The Police station that said i couldn't report it was Chorlton-cum-Hardy.)

Arch

Married to Night Train
small fish said:
Thanks again for replies and concern.

In terms of the police lack of interest I will write a polite letter to Chief Constable letting him know how disappointed I am in the Police response to me being knocked of my bike, while in a cycle lane, by a car that then drove off leaving me in the gutter. I will also ask for an explanation of why I was told I could not report this crime.

(The incident took place at the Junction between Upper Chorlton Road and Knutsford Avenue in Manchester - I would guess the owner lives in that vicinity. The Police station that said i couldn't report it was Chorlton-cum-Hardy.)

Go for it, and let us know what happens.

As an aside, out of interest... Friend of mine just told me she was 'sort of' knocked down by a car at the weekend - it came up the kerb to overtake(I think, it was a bit unclear) a bus, and she (as a pedestrian) had to avoid it by throwing herself aside, banging on the roof of the car as she did (I think she sort of used the roof to push herself aside). The driver drove off without stopping although she thinks they must have been aware of what they did. Technically, they didn't hit her, but she had to take rapid avoiding action or they would have. Is that a hit and run? She didn't get any details, so I doubt she'll report it, and I'm afraid I wouldn't urge her to do it, based on Smallfish's story... I'd call it dangerous or at least careless driving, but would the police give a toss, even with a full reg and one witness?

Only if its a case of injuring a baby in a pram, as has happened locally. Driver wanted to use cash dispenser: drove into pram on pavement. I've been forced physically sideways by vehicle mounting the kerb, on the same road in village: decided not to clock the driver. It was opposite a school for which I was trustee, and I couldn't trust myself not to self-combust:smile:

domtyler

Über Member
I think it is about time that we accepted that minor traffic incidents are fairly low on most peoples priority list, most especially when they involve a cyclist. I fully appreciate how upsetting they are when they concern you but it might be an idea to take a step back and try to look at things through the eyes of a detached observer.

Concentrating on the outcome rather than the potential for harm is a trademark of the police, the Home Office, and the courts, none of whom are particularly interested in reducing road deaths. Unless they are forced to. As you say, domtyler, its not on the list.