Ouch, should I still ride?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Last Saturday, I went for a reasonably long bike ride (for me) of 41 miles with Helly79.

A combination of incorrect riding position (now corrected) and overexerting myself up a hill caused a pulled muscle/sprain or something on my left leg. I was able to continue, but bending my left leg caused pain. Over the week, I have been going for short 4-5 mile rides each day and my leg was feeling better, but yesterday, I clocked up about 14 miles (some mild hill climbs) and the pain returned. Its not excruciating, but its there and it hurts

To spare the embarrassment of hairy leg photography, Ive used a wooden figure to illustrate where it hurts. (Please disregard for a moment the fact that the figure is female lol)

2vjtlz7.png

Hont

Guru
I would advise against riding. Remember the adage RICE for injuries: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Hont said:
I would advise against riding. Remember the adage RICE for injuries: Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation.

Thanks, that makes sense. As I said, it got better but then I pushed it too hard again yesterday and it hurts again lol - Its ok to walk on and isnt swolen at all but is a bit painful when i bend it when pedaling :laugh:

longers

Legendary Member
I think that part of the leg is where the iliotibial band is found. Not had too much grief from mine but others on here have and I think I've read that there are specific stretches that can help. I don't know any, but a search on here might turn up some advice.

GrasB

Veteran
If it's more than muscle fatigue pain then don't ride & possibly go see your doctor. It's not worth the risk of doing (far) more damage.

baznav

i had a simalar problem a couple of years back, mine was a small muscle tare only hurt riding the bike the advice i got was i could excersize it as long as it didn't hurt, and if it hurt stop.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Thanks BazNav - yup, sounds very similar to mine. I only find it hurts if I really push myself, so as I have only been riding gently the past week, it has got better :evil:

healthlyliving

you should take a break if you are over exercising. Go to do something else. May be just a walk or stretching will do you good. Excessive exercise caused joint problems so don't do it.

e-rider

crappy member
I've had pain there before that started on a bike ride and returned everytime I went cycling and got worse the more I pushed myself.

I didn't stop riding; I just carried on and in the end it just got better.

I have to say that although I could feel it with every pedal stroke, the pain wasn't too bad AND I have no way of knowing if you have exactly the same problem - it could be a number of things.

I think mine also started going up a hill too fast. 12 months on and I have no trouble at the moment.

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Thanks for the info guys, its improved a lot as Ive been riding very carefully and have not overexerted myself. I think I need to be spinning rather than grinding lol

NigC

That looks to be in a similar position to some trouble I had with my knee a year ago. Mine was caused by too much walking in the Lake District, combined with too heavy a backpack (didn't do my homework enough before going). The pain started immediately I started walking downhill after climbing Hardknott Pass and was agony for the last 6 miles of that day.

It forced me to cut my holiday short and gave me a lot of trouble for 3 or 4 months afterwards. Whenever I walked more than a couple of miles the pain would start, but in my case, cycling was OK.

But once it cleared up I haven't had any problems with it since :laugh:

OP
OP
AndyCarolan

AndyCarolan

Do you smell fudge?
Tynan said:
ibuprofen and voltarol

it's going to be largely imflamation I imagine

Could be right. It was painful on Sunday after the ride through Thetford forest, but is ok today. Very odd

Top Bottom