Ouch !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I had a bit of a tumble this morning, I was enjoying a leisurely ride along a country lane and was approaching a junction. I tried to brake and due to all the muck left by passing vehicles, I hit the deck big time. The reason I am writing this post is to say that as a result of this incident I have completely revised my opinion of helmets. The only reason that I wore one was to keep my wife happy (stop her nagging), but when I came off today, my helmet, with my head inside hit the road, Hard. Now I am a convert. One question I have is will the helmet still be OK. There is no apparent damage other than a bit of scraping along the side

Teuchter

Über Member
You should in theory replace it as the polystyrene under the outer shell is designed to compress to absorb the impact and will now be crushed. This lilely won't be evident on the outer shell as it pops back to its original shape, probably only showing scratches. If you repeat the same performance and land on the same part of the helmet again, the polystyrene won't absorb any impact.

Someone will be along shortly to tell you that you wouldn't have hit your head at all if you hadn't been wearing a helmet. ^_^

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Hope you're none the worse. Poor next door neighbour came a cropper this morning too. Just coming back into the outskirts of the town, slightly downhill so doing 18-20mph. He saw a van coming in the other direction indicating to turn across his path into a garden centre and it looked like the driver had seen him and was waiting. Don't know if the driver misjudged my neighbour's speed or what but he proceeded to make the turn and poor Bill had nowhere to go. Straight into his wing. Nothing broken but very badly bruised and shaken up. New bib tights torn. It was his second best Colnago carbon road bike. He will take it to his LBS to get checked over properly but looks like there will be a bit of damage.

Fortunately, driver admitted full responsibility, brought him home and has left all his details and said he will pay for everything so hope he sticks to his word.

Big boy

glad you ok as for replacing the lid thats up to you really.
At the end of the day a lid costs from about 20 quid up, your head isnt replacable.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

A few hours on and I am now developing a few aches and pains. My good lady say that I am a pain in the A*** and on this occasion I agree with her. A certain part of my anatomy will be an interesting selection of colours in the morning:shy:

Leaway2

Lycrist
GWS.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch !!
I hear you, very dicey in places with all the wet leaves piling up and i am being extra careful atm .

get well soon and tell your other half its better to be a pain in the arse than having to be visited in hospital :smile:

lukesdad

In the interests of anecdata balance I'd like to report that last winter I had a similar experience on an unexpected patch of black ice, but I wasn't wearing a helmet, just a woolly hat. I banged my head on the road but neither I nor the hat suffered any apparent damage. Based on this personal experience I'd say you could quite safely go on wearing your helmet and save yourself the price of a new one.
The damage might not be apparent to you ! ^_^

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
@taximan. Re replacement bone dome. What do YOU think you should do? Whatever that is then do it. That is all that matters.

boydj

Legendary Member
The problem in a fall like this is that the helmet - extra weight, extra width - makes it more likely for your head to hit the road, and hit harder. I've had similar falls with and without the helmet and lived to tell the tale.

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

Thanks for your input guys. I think a new helmet would be advisable, after all, it's better to me safe than sorry. I spent an hour in the garage last night checking my Zimmer (the bike) over and I am pleased to say there is no real damage other than the QR lever on the back wheel is deeply scored and sadly, my 40 years old Brooks B17 has a nasty scuff mark on the right side and another right at the front :cursing: . On the plus side, there were no witnesses so my pride is intact.

Top Bottom