Ouch !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teuchter

Über Member
Good news. Bet you hurt more today though (the day after is always the worst)!

Let your Brooks wear those battle scars with pride (and maybe a bit of proofide for good measure).

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I know this helmet thing gets debated a lot but I would contest that all the people who have come off their bikes, slapped their heads on the road and lived to tell the tale with no ill effects were very very lucky.

We had a teenager in the village a couple of years back who came off his MTB at some speed and went head first into a Lakeland stone wall. He was concussed but was ok within a week or so. Apart from protecting his brain from significant damage the laceration protection was huge too. These stone walls are filled with very sharp rock. Last winter I slipped at walking pace into one and my arm was a mess. This kid would've had some real bad cuts without a helmet. As it stands he had just a few scratches on his face (although one arm was a bit tatty)..

Personal choice of course but in my book non-wearing of helmets is in the same camp as those people who do not wear seat belts and state that they will brace themselves in a high speed car crash - off their trolleys.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I notice that many of you go on about how good helmets are for ones 'head but no one advocates the use of shoulder pads, elbow pads or knee pads when one falls over. I don't wear a helmet or any other protection but to compare not wearing a helmet to not wearing a seat belt in a car is ridiculous. The forces involved are totally different and cannot be compared. If you wear a helmet, good for you but why not other padding for even greater protection?

I notice that many of you go on about how good helmets are for ones 'head but no one advocates the use of shoulder pads, elbow pads or knee pads when one falls over.

Probably because your brain does'nt live in your shoulders - elbows or knees .. im only guessing though :whistle:

i can never understand when i read threads like this why people have to defend or attack the use of helmets ? if you want to wear one, then wear one, and if you dont want to wear one, dont wear one ...

OP
OP
taximan

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I notice that many of you go on about how good helmets are for ones 'head but no one advocates the use of shoulder pads, elbow pads or knee pads when one falls over. I don't wear a helmet or any other protection but to compare not wearing a helmet to not wearing a seat belt in a car is ridiculous. The forces involved are totally different and cannot be compared. If you wear a helmet, good for you but why not other padding for even greater protection?

I need a pad now otherwise I wouldn't be able to sit comfortably :shy:

screenman

Legendary Member
Because the people who do not wear a helmet have to keep justifying it to themselves, bit of a security thing. Personally the extra weight and size thing in my mind has very little thought behind it, Mind you some non helmet wearers are extra special in that they have the ability when a crash happens they can keep their head off of the ground. You would have thought that the pro's would be as good as them.

Not one person has ever come up with any proof that I have see that can say helmets do not offer some protection.

To the OP I hope your bruises heal quickly, and do not forget some helmet manufactures offer an exchange or used to after an accident.

mark c

Über Member
My off yesterday was on a patch of deisel on a t junction in front off half a dozen cars. :sad: only a wounded pride and a grazed arm and a few more scratches on my bike :sad:

jayonabike