Ouch

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This is one ( of many) reasons, I don’t use mudguards, on my bikes.
My two commuters/'365' bikes do

Even if the rain's stopped, they keep the manky road water off my kit & off my face/out of my mouth

My two commuters/'365' bikes do

Even if the rain's stopped, they keep the manky road water off my kit & off my face/out of my mouth
I’ve got crud catchers on the rear of my Hybrids, that are well clear of the wheels / tyres, and an arse saver on one of my road bikes ( the one that gets most winter / rubbish weather miles ) those suffice, without the drawbacks of close fitting mudguards:

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
They're no trouble if you fit them correctly with safety clips. CTC campaigned on this for decades yet mudguards still can be sold without them and unsuspecting cyclists keep getting hurt as a result.

I like to think of myself as moderately intelligent, but I never ever considered the inherent danger a foreign object would have if it managed to get tangled up on the front. I was up and over in a second, and incredibly I was going up a 10% incline and I still went A over T.

D

Deleted member 1258

Going up a hill in a forest area, twig goes into front wheel which then wraps into mudguard and I go head over heel onto my face, hands, knees.

Took the bits of remaining mudguard off and now back at base!

My chin looks a bit grazed - the wife will probably kill me anyway so it wont matter.

:hugs:

I've got one bike with clips and one bike without clips, and a couple of years ago the bike I was riding when I got my foot tangled up in the mudguard was, you guessed it, the one without the clips, trickling at walking pace in traffic, down I went and grazed my knee and elbow.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I like to think of myself as moderately intelligent, but I never ever considered the inherent danger a foreign object would have if it managed to get tangled up on the front. I was up and over in a second, and incredibly I was going up a 10% incline and I still went A over T.
Yeah, it's completely not obvious, which is probably why the sly swines get away selling mudguards without clips. I only switched after getting a stick through the spokes but fortunately I was at low speed on a soft trail so I just ploughed the front wheel in.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
£4 postage for a £2 item is a bit rich.
Buy more stuff or go visit a shop that sells them (and probably buy more stuff if you're anything like me) or ask owners of snapped guards for the spares off the replacements but mainly curse the penny pinching mudguard makers that won't add £2 to the price of their product to stop hundreds of cyclists faceplanting every year.

No 'breakaway clips on it?
I had it happen on my CGR, whilst on a bridleway last Summer, & whilst the 'guard folded, the clips did their jobs, springing loose & letting the stays spring out of the way

Seen here on the (mothballed) 'Preston' (sad, giving it a name. but...)
View attachment 430598

https://www.spacycles.co.uk/m2b0s190p3749/STRONGLIGHT-Safe-Clip-Set

The clips on my mudguards came off due to a minor bump, bloody rubbish! Since been replaced with cable ties and no problems since.

Top Bottom