Our heritage...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Here's another article:
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-accurate-are-online-dna-tests/
Also states that this part of genomic testing (what nationality/region etc) is of, essentially, zero value.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I was quite surprised: I knew I had German/Jewish ancestry, but that didn't show in the results.

You inherit half your parents DNA but not necessarily a quarter of your grandparent's. In theory it can be anything from zero to a 100% from each.

The ethnicity estimates are just that, different tests will give different estimates for the same sample.
You can upload your My Heritage results to GEDMatch.com for free:
https://www.gedmatch.com/login1.php

You will get different estimates again, they might even be what you expect this time.

Chris S

Legendary Member
I took an Ancestry DNA test and was matched with a second cousin in Australia who I didn't even know existed.

I also turned out to be about 6% Pacific Islander. It fitted in with my father's family's links to what is now Malaysia and my facial features.

Katherine

Guru
There was a R4 program debunking these a while ago, due to the fact they are comparing your DNA to modern DNA of others which is not what the original DNA would have been from the original settlers in the countries, so basically just another money making scheme with no substance, or something along those lines.
Yes.
Dubious accuracy.
There was an article on yahoo last year about some identical twins who sent theirs off and they got different results.

colly

Re member eR
My daughter had a test done and her results were as follows:

British & Irish 56.3%
French & German 21.4%
Scandinavian 1.7%
Broadly Northwestern Europe 20.5%
Unassigned .1%

While it may not be perfectly accurate it is in fact completely in line with our family history.
My Great, Great, Great Grandfather arrived here in England in the early 1800's . He was born in what was then Silesia. Specifically the Niessa (nysa) Region. My wifes Great Grandmother came from Norway. There is another line on my wifes side that has connections with Northern France.

So while it may be someone jumping on a passing band waggon it isn't total bunkum.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
My daughter had a test done and her results were as follows:

British & Irish 56.3%
French & German 21.4%
Scandinavian 1.7%
Broadly Northwestern Europe 20.5%
Unassigned .1%

While it may not be perfectly accurate it is in fact completely in line with our family history.
My Great, Great, Great Grandfather arrived here in England in the early 1800's . He was born in what was then Silesia. Specifically the Niessa (nysa) Region. My wifes Great Grandmother came from Norway. There is another line on my wifes side that has connections with Northern France.

So while it may be someone jumping on a passing band waggon it isn't total bunkum.
You must be worry about that 0.1%.
It could be alien life forms.

Top Bottom