Our overstretched ambulance service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi,
You hear about it all the time on the news about how our NHS is so overstretched, as well as our Ambulance service, but as like all things, you don't realise how bad things really are until you see it first hand.
Last night and today i witnessed two incidents where an ambulance was needed and both times they had taken an absolute age to come.
Last night i went out for a beer and the usual bank holiday of to much drink/hot weather and aggression ended up with some guy collapsed on the road. A large group of people helped him out stemming some nasty cuts to his head, after from what i heard of him being asaulted. After an hour and couple beers i decided to have an early night and go home. Walking past the same place i was supprised to see this guy again, with the police presence looking after him. He had a bloodied make shift bandaged wrapped on his head and they where clearly waiting for the ambulance to arrive.
This was the best part of an hour gone and still no sign.
The second incident, i saw today was a road traffic accident involving a motorbike. The road was closed and the police and ambulance were there. I instantly recognised the bike and went over to see if it was my friend. Shock of horror it was. The guy was lying motionless but conscious, and asked some bystanders of the situation. From what i gathered he couldn't feel nothing or move, and that again it took around an hour for the ambulance to arrive. This was all shall we say "hear say" from a second hand source that i spoken to, but it really does make you realise how much pressure our emergency services are under. Obviously they took a long time because there busy elsewhere dealing with incidents.
I moan about my job sometimes such as working through breaks or just dealing with to much back logs, but its absolutely nothing compared to what this guys do.
With the pressure there under, and the often thankless attitudes and abuse they get , it must be real hard going on occasions.
They deserve so much more from us the tax payer.

Last edited:

classic33

Leg End Member
I saw two "paramedics" just sitting on the grass today. Felt like asking them what they were doing at the rear of the ambulance station. Can't possibly have been genuine ones sat down, enjoying the sunny weather.

lane

Veteran
my uncle is disabled because he had polio as a child and then a motorbike accident. He is in his 70s. He slipped a broke his hip where he lives in Cornwall. Left laying on the pavement in the rain while people walked around him, in much pain, for six hours before an ambulance attended. This despite a Doctor who was in the vicinity repeatedly calling the ambulance service because he was so concerned. I would say what I think but it would be too much swearing for this forum.

lane

Veteran
the trouble with Cornwall it's a big place and has massive seasonal variation in demand for obvious reasons.

tom73

Guru
Not only that 3 hour window to take the break if they don't get to take it.
They get stood down told to return to base and get £15 quid.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
I had a smidsy in 2016 and felt guilty for accepting an ambulance called by the people who helped me.......Until I saw a few episodes of "999 what's your emergency" and felt much better when comparing my injuries with some of those on the programme.

Due to the paramedics "patching me up" rather than taking me to hospital I got an infection 6 days later and required a 4 day stay in hospital to sort it out thus clogging up a bed.

The GP that assessed the infection didn't help as she insisted I went to hospital in, yes, another ambulance. All there paramedics did was give me paracetamol and oxygen. On wife could have driven me.

The hospital stay was 4 days instead of 3 as there was a mix up over which Ward booked the surgery.

So most of the above could have been prevented if certain people had done their jobs differently. A bed and ambulance could have been freed up for someone else. I'm not qualified to pin point whether it's training or procedures at fault.

gbb

Legendary Member
I dont know if this is a new thing or perhaps it was always this way....
Ambulanced to hospital last week. Guys arrived fairly promptly...a damn sight faster than they did for my then 86 year old mum with a broken hip...wait....5 hours.
They arrived to me within maybe 1/2 hour, took maybe 3/4 hour to get me comfortable, off to the hospital. Arrive at A&E to join a queue. Ambulance fellas are then commited to stay with me in a line of maybe 8 casualties. So that's 16 pqramedices, each tied up for what ?...1/2 hour each absolute minimum I'd have thought..maybe an hour on a busy day ?
Why is that ? was it always that way ? paramedics tied down, not available for emergencies. It seems ludicrous, youd think they'd release them...no wonder mum had to wait in agony with a broken hip for 5 hours.

Talking to one of them in my more lucid moments, I asked if RTAs were more work for them, given what appears to be the atrocious state of driving nowadays. No was the answer. ..mental health issues, drunkenness and drugs are their major callouts now..

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I dont know if this is a new thing or perhaps it was always this way....
Ambulanced to hospital last week. Guys arrived fairly promptly...a damn sight faster than they did for my then 86 year old mum with a broken hip...wait....5 hours.
They arrived to me within maybe 1/2 hour, took maybe 3/4 hour to get me comfortable, off to the hospital. Arrive at A&E to join a queue. Ambulance fellas are then commited to stay with me in a line of maybe 8 casualties. So that's 16 pqramedices, each tied up for what ?...1/2 hour each absolute minimum I'd have thought..maybe an hour on a busy day ?
Why is that ? was it always that way ? paramedics tied down, not available for emergencies. It seems ludicrous, youd think they'd release them...no wonder mum had to wait in agony with a broken hip for 5 hours.

Talking to one of them in my more lucid moments, I asked if RTAs were more work for them, given what appears to be the atrocious state of driving nowadays. No was the answer. ..mental health issues, drunkenness and drugs are their major callouts now..
Same happened with me when I broke my Femur, two Ambulance/Paramedics with me for a couple of hours instead of being ready for the next 'customer'. :cursing:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
There's no doubt about the cause. Tory NHS cuts and members of the public who abuse the system.

There is always going to be prioritisation. A year ago we came across a cyclist who had crashed and as it turned out had broken his hip. It was freezing cold on an exposed road and the ambulance took nearly two hours. His injury wasn't life threatening so others will have got priority.

In January I was alone at home and suffered a subarachnoid haemorrhage - a brain haemorrhage. I was just capable of dialing 999. Long story short the ambulance was with me in 8 minutes. I might well be dead now if they hadn't arrived so quickly.

These are the decisions which have to be made. An ambulance may be on the way to a broken hip only to be diverted to someone screaming down the phone at the handler.

When we truly need the NHS it delivers. Time and again.

tom73

Guru
If the masses did not miss use A and E. They'd have the room and staff to deal with ambulance hand overs.
Equally if they did not miss use Ambulances they'd have more to deal with real call out's.
On a side note many front line Abmo's are now staffed by ECA's cheep option but not always the best/suitable one

Top Bottom