Our overstretched ambulance service

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
They a union and mandated break periods.
One was even reading a book!!

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If we don't spend enough on the emergency services they are not going to be there when we need them. That, and the drunks who take up NHS time and recourses with self inflicted problems. I have two relatives who are doctors and the tales they told about their junior days in A&E were eye opening, as much as 75% of their custom from Friday to Sunday evenings were from people who had simply drunk too much. And the time taken to deal with people who were either aggressive or comatose was out of proportion to their medical problem.

Sharky

Guru
I've been fortunate in having an ambulance call for me three times.

The first time, they must have thought I was a lottery winner, as they didn't bother with a normal ambulance, but sent one of their helicopters. Don't know how long they took as I decided to have nap until I woke up in some tatty hotel. The food was terrible, just like hospital food.

The second time, I stayed awake to see what all the fuss was. They seem to arrive promptly and took me to A&E.

The third time after a disagreement with some black ice, the ambulance came quite quickly and rushed me to A&E with all bells ringing and lights flashing. But to my surprise, on reaching A&E, they made me wait for ages along with the ambulance crew, waiting to be signed in and handed over. Don't know why the ambulance bothered to rush.

Next time, I'll take my stop watch and time them.

classic33

Leg End Member
I've been fortunate in having an ambulance call for me three times.

The first time, they must have thought I was a lottery winner, as they didn't bother with a normal ambulance, but sent one of their helicopters. Don't know how long they took as I decided to have nap until I woke up in some tatty hotel. The food was terrible, just like hospital food.

The second time, I stayed awake to see what all the fuss was. They seem to arrive promptly and took me to A&E.

The third time after a disagreement with some black ice, the ambulance came quite quickly and rushed me to A&E with all bells ringing and lights flashing. But to my surprise, on reaching A&E, they made me wait for ages along with the ambulance crew, waiting to be signed in and handed over. Don't know why the ambulance bothered to rush.

Next time, I'll take my stop watch and time them.
Just over three hours waiting for the handover last time. An hour after they should have finished for the morning.

my son works for the north west ambulance service and gets frustrated at the time spent hanging around hospitals to hand over

classic33

Leg End Member
Given that actual paperwork seems to be "dying out", replaced by tablets(electronic) now being used, in it's place. Could they leave the tablets with the less serious cases. Picking up one that had been left earlier.

Seldom would you have a second ambulance service using the same hospitals.

On response times, could they allow the crews to use a paper A to Z, not following the satnav. From the ambulance station mentioned earlier, the satnav can doublesl the distance travelled to where it is needed. Some crews are aware of this, but it's a discipline offence if they don't follow the satnav.

Drago

Legendary Member
From my experience of IT in the public services, tablets, smartphones etc, they serve only to waste even more time and more information is input again and again. They're voracious, time hungry machines by the time bloated, un ergonomic public service software has been programmed onto them.

classic33

Leg End Member
From my experience of IT in the public services, tablets, smartphones etc, they serve only to waste even more time and more information is input again and again. They're voracious, time hungry machines by the time bloated, un ergonomic public service software has been programmed onto them.
They're in use, having replaced the forms that had to be filled out. Why not use them to their fullest, if possible.

Talking to one of them in my more lucid moments, I asked if RTAs were more work for them, given what appears to be the atrocious state of driving nowadays. No was the answer. ..mental health issues, drunkenness and drugs are their major callouts now..

If we don't spend enough on the emergency services they are not going to be there when we need them. That, and the drunks who take up NHS time and recourses with self inflicted problems. I have two relatives who are doctors and the tales they told about their junior days in A&E were eye opening, as much as 75% of their custom from Friday to Sunday evenings were from people who had simply drunk too much. And the time taken to deal with people who were either aggressive or comatose was out of proportion to their medical problem.

Equally, if we don't finance mental health properly, it's the emergency services that will end up bearing the load, either directly or indirectly as people self-medicate on drugs and alcohol: gutting the provision of care for people will inevitably cost more in the long run.

That said, a few people showing a bit more self-discipline on a Saturday night would ease the pressure dramatically...

Top Bottom