Out of balance Hunt carbon wheels?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
So let me get this straight.

You bought expensive wheels so they would be lighter and you could ride faster, but the characteristics of these expensive wheels mean they are not really suitable for riding above average speeds, so now you are considering ADDING weights to rectify the fault?

I know what I would be doing, and it involves the term 'not fit for purpose'!

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hunt for all their fancy graphics and marketing seem to have a quality control problem.. I've seen it commented elsewhere that they are average wheels sold expensively.

send them back and get them to send you a balanced pair - it shouldn't be that difficult to make a wheel that doesn't wobble at speed.

Broadside

Guru
Are they deep section. Big issue will be the long valve and it's weight, but the manufacturer should have thought of that. They shouldn't be shaking the bike on a stand.
I would agree with that about the valve stem causing some of the imbalance.

Tyres also have varying amounts of rubber around their circumference which you can feel as you run your fingers round the inside when searching for a puncture so it will not just be the fault of the rim manufacturer. I get rid of most of the balance problem by putting my speed sensor spoke magnet opposite the heavy point which is usually directly across from the valve hole. This is a problem that affects all wheels and tyres not just high end bike wheels.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I would agree with that about the valve stem causing some of the imbalance.

Tyres also have varying amounts of rubber around their circumference which you can feel as you run your fingers round the inside when searching for a puncture so it will not just be the fault of the rim manufacturer. I get rid of most of the balance problem by putting my speed sensor spoke magnet opposite the heavy point which is usually directly across from the valve hole. This is a problem that affects all wheels and tyres not just high end bike wheels.

i would accept that many wheels will be out of balance by a very fine margin, but not to this extent:
I know its not a good and accurate test because a bike behaves differently on the road than it does in a stand, but with the bike mounted in the work stand, if you get the rear wheel spinning at a decent rpm, the vibration is that bad it dam near shakes the bike out of the stand!

I know none of my bikes vibrate as described above when on a work stand, and the most expensive wheels are only a pair of Fulcrum 5s.

Broadside

Guru
I’ve just re-read the OP and had missed the point that he has tried it with tyres and tubes removed. I agree that for the bike to be nearly shaken off the work stand is pretty poor.

I’ve had doubts about Hunt myself when a mate bought £800 wheels and the hubs look almost identical to some wheels I had just bought from Superstar Components for under £200.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I’ve just re-read the OP and had missed the point that he has tried it with tyres and tubes removed. I agree that for the bike to be nearly shaken off the work stand is pretty poor.

I’ve had doubts about Hunt myself when a mate bought £800 wheels and the hubs look almost identical to some wheels I had just bought from Superstar Components for under £200.

I've also heard Hunt Wheels are highly priced versions of unbranded ones, although they might add a tiny bit of value by speccing branded spokes.

It happens quite a bit with ebikes.

I've seen some priced at, say, £1,250 when exactly the same Chinese bike is available for £750 retail - minus flashy graphics and a swish website to sell it.

One could speculate about the bulk factory gate price, but a couple of people in the trade have told me it could be as low as £150 per unit.

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
Are they deep section. Big issue will be the long valve and it's weight, but the manufacturer should have thought of that. They shouldn't be shaking the bike on a stand.
No, they are only a 36mm section. It doesnt help that the bearings are incredibly smooth, so little resistance.

Interestingly, if you look at Shimano wheels they add a tiny counterbalance within the rim on the opposite side to the valve.

Reactions: C R

figbat

Slippery scientist
Have you determined where on the wheel the heavy spot is? It is relative to the valve hole? On metal rims they put the valve hole opposite the join in the rim, so the valve can counterbalance the joint but I assume carbon fibre wheels are laid down as a single piece with no joints?

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
So let me get this straight.

You bought expensive wheels so they would be lighter and you could ride faster, but the characteristics of these expensive wheels mean they are not really suitable for riding above average speeds, so now you are considering ADDING weights to rectify the fault?

I know what I would be doing, and it involves the term 'not fit for purpose'!
No, l bought lightweight wheels to make climbing more enjoyable, and they sure as hell do that.
From what lve now gathered, the downside it seems with lightweight wheels is that of balancing.
But lets put it into perspective here, when you say adding weight, around 14 grammes is all that is required.
But l agree it should be allowed for in the design stage, and yes Ive already mentioned to them that returning them is now being considered. But thats down to them now to see how they respond to my complaint.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
No, they are only a 36mm section. It doesnt help that the bearings are incredibly smooth, so little resistance.

Interestingly, if you look at Shimano wheels they add a tiny counterbalance within the rim on the opposite side to the valve.

I'd send Hunt a video of the wheels, sans tyre etc and show how it's moving. The wheel should be near perfect. I don't get that even with my MTB wheels with heavy tyres - not enogh to move the bike. The road bikes have decent wheels and no out of balance (other than what you'd expect from a valve).

OP
OP
AlanW

AlanW

Guru
I'd send Hunt a video of the wheels, sans tyre etc and show how it's moving. The wheel should be near perfect. I don't get that even with my MTB wheels with heavy tyres - not enogh to move the bike. The road bikes have decent wheels and no out of balance (other than what you'd expect from a valve).
Yep, done that. Two clips sent one with tyres fitted, one with the tyres removed. That was two days ago and still waiting for a response.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It would be interesting to see what the rim weight actually is as that's where it affects climbing most. Hubs, no point going superlight. If you've got spoke holes under the rim tape (you might not if tubeless ready.

Top Bottom