Out of date Christmas pud and rum sauce

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I might put the pudding on the kitchen roof, then the birds can peck at it. I'll get more pleasure from seeing them getting fed than from me eating it. Before anyone says it's not proper bird food, remember these Starlings around here live on a diet of dropped pizzas,chips,kebabs and pies.:okay:

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I might put the pudding on the kitchen roof, then the birds can peck at it. I'll get more pleasure from seeing them getting fed than from me eating it. Before anyone says it's not proper bird food, remember these Starlings around here live on a diet of dropped pizzas,chips,kebabs and pies.:okay:

If I dropped a pie it would hit me on the back of my head as I bent to pick it up.

Brains

Legendary Member
Some years ago (only about 5) we were given a boxes and boxes of Army MRE packs.
The Army were getting rid of them as they were past even their sell by date, but they had been stored in the UK at a steady temperature, so over about 3 years we munched our way through them, the food included curry, pate and a very good Christmas putting with custard.

After some years we finally cracked the Army packaging date formula. The food had been packed in 1973, we were eating food over 35 years old. None of it did us any harm.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some years ago (only about 5) we were given a boxes and boxes of Army MRE packs.
The Army were getting rid of them as they were past even their sell by date, but they had been stored in the UK at a steady temperature, so over about 3 years we munched our way through them, the food included curry, pate and a very good Christmas putting with custard.

After some years we finally cracked the Army packaging date formula. The food had been packed in 1973, we were eating food over 35 years old. None of it did us any harm.

Someone on the radio about 3 years ago said they'd found a packet of kippers in their freezer with best before 1997 on the packet. The presenter dared him to eat them, then report back. The bloke phoned back the next day and said he'd eaten them and they tasted ok.

RichardB

Slightly retro
The whole point of Christmas puddings is that thy are made to be stored for long periods. My Mum would often make them in the autumn for the Christmas of the following year. She reckoned they weren't ready to eat for 12 months. All the sugar and alcohol makes them pretty well indestructible. Same goes for the rum sauce, although as it is on a base of milk/cream it is more risky. If there is no breach in the packaging and the texture is right, it should be fine. However, the bottom line is that we have survived as a species for over 100,000 years without the benefit of use-by dates. We have a magnificent system of smell and taste that lets us know if food is wholesome or not. Sniff it and taste a bit - if it's off it will be immediately obvious. IANAB*, of course, but I would have no problem with the pud subject to the sniff and taste test. The sauce I might bin to be on the safe side.

*Biochemist.

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
Would you eat them? The pudding's best before date is the end of June this year and the rum sauce's is the end of November 2014 .I found them at the back of our cupboard. I'm tempted but maybe a bit wary of the sauce,with it being 74% milk and over a year out of date.
leave the sauce but yes the pudding

Tin Pot

Guru
The idea that the human race is likely to continue to exist shouldn't really be a factor in whether Accy eats pudding or not.

It could be a good starting point for Simon Pegg and Nick Frost's next outing though.

Top Bottom