out of interest

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi there I am a 42 year old currently 16 st 3, 6ft 2. I have been cycling for approx two weeks and have lost 4lbs, stomach is flatter and feeling ok. i WORK OUT ON BIKE EVERY OTHER DAY LAST TWO RIDES 22 MILES ~(89 miles a week). My wife says and others I am going to far but I feel comfortable and my average speed is approx 13.5 mph. Does anyone agree that I am doing to much as I feel I should do what feels comfortable. Also will this sort of exercise keep losing weight.
many thanks
dave

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Dave, I'm 42, 6ft 1", and was 18 stone 5 months ago, now probably about your weight. My commute is 40 miles round trip and do that 3 times a week, I've done a couple of 50 mile rides and a 100 miles in last month. Stuck working at home right now so when I get the chance I'm doing a quick 20 mile ride. I'm up to about 14.5mph now, so your 13.5 is very respectable so soon.

If you're not getting any problems with knees or butt then no reason not to carry on with what you're doing. I find anything over 30 miles, in one go, and I need to factor in a short rest, food and water.....cheers....Al

tyred

Legendary Member
If you're feeling fine with it, I would continue. If you ask too much of your body, it will let you know!

bonj2

Course you're not going too far. Without ANY amount of disrespect to the mileage and cycling you're doing and your fitness, it's nowhere NEAR 'too far'.
That's if such a concept of 'too far' even exists - but then that can only be determined by your own comfort level, so therefore like you say, you should do what feels comfortable for you.
Non-cyclists will always be surprised at the distances that we cycle, in an ignorant way: it's a well known fact that most non-cyclists think that it's physically impossible to cycle more than about 5 miles.
without wantin to pry too much, maybe your wife likes a more, er, full-bodied figure?

byegad

Legendary Member
Too far is when you crawl home exhausted and fall asleep as soon as you sit down! Anything else is just a ride.

Hont

Guru
If you feel comfortable you're fine. The every other day pattern you're using means that you should be well recovered for each ride, even if you're knackered at the end of each one.

You should continue to lose weight as long as you don't increase your food consumption to compensate. As long as you use more calories than you consume, your weight comes off. Keep it long and steady, though, to burn fat. The more intense the exercise the more the body relies on sugars for fuel.

And to avoid straining your heart, you should keep the intensity low to start with as well, if you've not been doing other sorts of exercise. Any history of heart problems in your family, go see your GP to have a checkup before increasing the intensity of your rides.

TVC

Sounds OK, it's good for weight loss and cardio vascular health. The thing to remember is that cycling doesn't do much for your core muscles or your upper body. Abdominal exercises to strengthten your stomach and back muscles would help along with some free weights (dumbells) to work your upper back, shoulders and arms. Also don't neglect your skelital muscles - the small ones that keep you balanced and give tone, because you're sat down cycling these are not really needed. Try walking off road and up gentle hills on uneven ground (even jog if you can), this will strengthen them.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't worry, you get funny looks when you tell them how many miles you do......

I've even had...."What 120 miles in one day !"......me nah, there's 24 hours in a day, I did it in 6..... their faces drop.....total picture.......

Top Bottom