Out of saddle hill climbing is.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Agree with vickster - this is my favourite quote of the day, so far

Unless you have some kind of degenerative disease, losing coordination should not be a major concern.

Possibly depends on the ladies in the spin class!!

I was more alarmed by his getting it up with his mates out on the road. I am having flashbacks to the Polish cycling team in their red shorts!! :ohmy:

martint235

Dog on a bike
If it's a very short sharp hill I may power up it standing but for the majority of hills I'm seated. I find it easier to vary my cadence and therefore acceleration and speed if I'm seated.

As for not being able to go up a 20% seated, the poster obviously needs to get out and practice more.

tyred

Legendary Member
I mix it up depending on the mood and the gearing on the bike I happen to be riding at the time.

Given good technique, nothing bad will happen if you stand for a climb. Nothing bad will happen if you sit for a climb. Do whatever makes you happy and don't over-think it!

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Getting out of the saddle is essential on fixed and single speed. Everyone else just selects a different gear.

Not essential except on the very steepest graunches. Just sit back, lean forward, and pedal round the stroke. It's one of the few times where you really do pull-up on the pedals.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm sure you know best. ;)
You've got to pay attention when a serious cyclist is giving instruction. :okay:

Top Bottom