Out of saddle hill climbing is.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bpsmith

Veteran
Watch yesterday and you get a very different opinion.

Both impressive in their own style over the past few stages.

Contador will surely take it overall!?!

Sorry to bump an oldish thread but at 48, the minute the hill goes upright I`m usually in the smallest gear I have. I try my best to stay seated and stand up only because I dont want to walk up - sometimes I`m verrrrrrrrrrrry slow lol

Sorry to bump an oldish thread but at 48, the minute the hill goes upright I`m usually in the smallest gear I have. I try my best to stay seated and stand up only because I dont want to walk up - sometimes I`m verrrrrrrrrrrry slow lol
It dont matter how slow, it will get quicker, I used to be the same, I used be down in a very low gear on things today I dont drop off the middle front ring for.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Use what works for you , i have to come to that opinion anyway as i prefer to stand ala Chris Horner etc and im 47 and i tend to big ring most hills .
lavuelta2013kei20.jpg

Mrs M

Guru

I'll come :smile: just keep :bicycle:
I used to get off and walk, now I get up the same hills seated, not always though as I also like to stand up and stretch, whatever suits.

Doyleyburger

Veteran
Since Iv got a bike that properly fits me now, I very rarely get out the saddle, where as I did all the time on my old Defy which was miles to big for me.

Unless I'm going for a segment of course :laugh:

compo

Veteran
Slightly off topic as not about hill climbing but the other day when my seat post snapped I rode a mile or more standing up to get to a LBS to get a replacement. The muscles in my calves were on fire after a few minutes!

contadino

Veteran
I usually manage to get 50-60% of the way up in the saddle, then change up and finish standing. I'm a fat bloke. It all needs exercise and I get bored at slower than walking speed.

That said, it's only rolling countryside around here. No long tough hills.

Drago

Legendary Member
Alas, I'm not trying to win a race and more often than not I'm wrapped up for the cold and carrying rucksack, phone, keys, werthers originals, crossbow, Faberge egg etc, so honking doesn't work for me. I just keep arse planted in saddle and grind away. I wonder if its an age thing cos when I was young I'd honk with glee.

Just do what works for you and your circumstances.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Do whatever suits. What I find on long rides is that standing can be good on later hills, simply because the different muscles used are not as tired as the ones used while sitting. I climb very differntly on my tourer (22-30 bottom gear) to my singlespeed (44x18) as the tourer could be ridden seated up the side of a cliff, whereas over about 8% I need to stand up and use the mechanical advantage to get up the hill. I can climb longer hills on the tourer, but climb quicker on the singlespeed.

To be honest I'd probably go for picking a cadence you like and gearing accordingly so you can ride up a hill seated. Looking at Teethgrinder's approach to the Year record you could take it a step further and stick to a fixed heart rate up and down a hill and choose gears according to that. Otherwise just get up that hill whichever way you find the most comfortable :smile:

Top Bottom