Outbound Lighting Road Edition for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
I got a battery B&M Ixon IQ Premium (80 lux) a few years ago, when Amazon were knocking them out for £25. A bit plasticky, especially the mount, and the output does not compare well to a 70 lux dynamo IQ-XS, but ok for what I paid.
That's the model that self-destructed on the bike path. I would not recommend it.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I got a battery B&M Ixon IQ Premium (80 lux) a few years ago, when Amazon were knocking them out for £25. A bit plasticky, especially the mount, and the output does not compare well to a 70 lux dynamo IQ-XS, but ok for what I paid.

I use a B&M Cyo (60 lux, quite old now) on the Brompton. It is very good.

This is the one I was seriously considering. Premium version had wider beam pattern compared with older one so it was a good choice. It even had replaceable batteries which is a huge plus in my books. But it was a little on bulkier side and I wasn't sure it would fit to the fork bracket, but most importantly no gopro mount adaptor. Which was a nogo for me.

berlinonaut

Veteran
Another few reason why I've chose separate battery light is light weight of the light body. If I would put a huge light with built in battery on the fork mount, it would most probably breake the bracket pretty quick. Also separate battery would allow me to charge the light much less frequent compared to my Fenix light.
It is always a fun exercise to compare the weight of a battery light (expecially one with an external battery pack) with the weight of a hub dynamo powered solution. Most people assume that battery lights would save a lot of weight. In practice, especially when using a battery front light with decent output and thus a relatively gib battery pack, the weight saving is often minimal (less than 100g) and sometimes a hub dynamo solution is even considerably lighter. Definitively it is less hassle im terms of mounting, less hassle in terms of usage and more stress free - a fire and forget solution. Thus I only use battery lights on bikes that I do ride only rarely and even more rarely in the dark as then the advantage to switch the lights in between multiple bikes comes into account. In all other scenarios I clearly favor hub dynamos. Personal taste in the end - your mileage may vary.

berlinonaut

Veteran

I use a B&M Cyo (60 lux, quite old now) on the Brompton. It is very good.
This reflects my experience as well. In practice, the beam patterns of dynamo lights seem to be far better than the ones of battery lights in most cases plus the fit is more reliable so that they do not need readjustment all the time. I do own the Ixon Premium as well for many years - at the time when it came out it was possibly the most decent battery light. Today it is bulky and overtaken by other lights. Also the Cyo is I think about 10+ years old from it's design and technology has moved on - it's newer siblings Cyo Premium and the various newer lights from BUMM and others clearly outperform it. Still, it is still way better than many battery lights in my eyes.

I wasn't sure it would fit to the fork bracket,
It does, but it is a bulky unit. If I would not own it already I would not go for it today as over the last ten years technology has moved on and you get the same and better light amounts in less bulkier packages.
41857674ku.jpg

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

It does, but it is a bulky unit. If I would not own it already I would not go for it today as over the last ten years technology has moved on and you get the same and better light amounts in less bulkier packages.

It still looks like it'll rub on mounted bag.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

It is always a fun exercise to compare the weight of a battery light (expecially one with an external battery pack) with the weight of a hub dynamo powered solution.

I didn't compare the weight with hub dynamo. Since I don't do trails and always have access to the electricity I didn't even consider buying a hub dynamo with light.

I was considering the weight of the light I'd mount on the work bracket. Last thing I wanted is light to break the bracket and fall down in the middle of the road.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Few worlds about customer support of Outbound Lighting. After I placed the order I sent them an email asking to send me EU plug charger. Package received had Australian one :smile:

I emailed Tom again and while he also couldn't understand how AU charger ended up been sent to me they immediately shipped new EU charger to me. And to my question whether or not batteries are user replaceable here was the answer:

In regards to your battery question, the cells are not userserviceable, as that would have made it much bulkier and more prone to failure, leading to a worse product, which we didn't want, so we just cover any battery issues you have for free, rather than forcing you to come to us and charging you crazy fees for it.

They provide 3 years warranty, no nonsense about not shipping here or there or "please talk to your local distributor" etc. Here are their warranty terms on their website:

3-YEAR WARRANTY - AND BEYOND
In short: we got you. Whatever problem you're having, just send us an email and we'll respond (typically the same day) and get you taken care of. We don't think our customers should have to pay money out of pocket beyond the initial purchase to keep their lights running for at least 3 years, but we know shoot happens out there, and we'll stand behind the product no matter what. Honestly, if you're nice to us, we'll gladly support you for the life of the product for free, we just call it our "Don't Be A Dick Warranty Extension Policy."

LOVE IT OR RETURN IT GUARANTEE
We truly believe in the products we develop, as we use them everyday. We are so convinced that they're beyond anything you've currently used that we give you 30 days to return the product for a full refund as long as it's still in good condition, we'll even cover the shipping for domestic orders!

berlinonaut

Veteran
I didn't compare the weight with hub dynamo. Since I don't do trails and always have access to the electricity I didn't even consider buying a hub dynamo with light.
As said before: Needs and opinions differ as do experiences. I don't do trails on my Brompton. Still, in the past, I've often enough ended up with flat batteries, a light that was left at home and stuff like that. Especially for an urban utility bike I personally do consider a hub dynamo solution much superior than any battery lights. It is always there, it always works, fire and forget. Again, your mileage may vary.

Reactions: u_i

shingwell

On the subject of dynamo lights and batteries, I have found that decent quality LED dynamo lights will work off a rechargable USB battery pack which is smaller, lighter and longer lasting than "old fashioned" batteries. The trick is to take a USB charging cable, cut off the end that isn't going to be plugged into the battery, and wire the exposed red and black cores to to the light + and -, cutting off any other exposed cores. I once had a cheap chinese light that didn't work in this way, but all the good makes I have tried have worked (dynamos are 6 volts nominal but varies widely according to speed, USB is 5 volts). Of course you still have to find somewhere to mount the battery where water doesn't go down the USB connector.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The last Brompton lighting setup I did (on a friend's bike) was a s/h Shimano hub, B&M Myc headlight* and B&M Flat S Plus rear light. Cost about half what the Brompton kit would (I reused his front rim, as it was unworn) but it has twice the lux output and the rear light is much more visible than the one Brompton use, where the illuminated strip tends to be hidden by the rear brake. I was following someone with that light in London and it's invisible from a distance.

*the Brompton bracket has a reputation for breaking, so we modified (bent) a standard B&M medium bracket to go under the front carrier block.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

@berlinonaut what would you say the best option today for dynamo and light for Brompton? The best light which delivers best and brightest beam? Only front light. For dynamo what would you say the best option in terms of minimal drag resistance when light is off and lower drag when used?

berlinonaut

Veteran
@berlinonaut what would you say the best option today for dynamo and light for Brompton? The best light which delivers best and brightest beam? Only front light. For dynamo what would you say the best option in terms of minimal drag resistance when light is off and lower drag when used?
The best hub dynamo is no doubt the SON. The best light is a bit a matter of taste. In my opinion it is still the Edelux, though the Bumm IQ-X is a bit brighter and the Supernova E3-pro claims to be in the same range. I do know all three in practice on the Brompton and clearly prefer the Edelux - in my eyes it has the best beam of the three. Clearly better than the Supernova. The IQ-X can - when sorrowfully adjusted - be as good (or depending on your taste maybe even a bit better) but adjustment of the IQ-X is a pita plus it is mechanically prone to failures (mine died after 1,5 years and I am not alone while my Edeluxes last since I bought them many years ago) plus the IQ-X has a switch that is completely useless. I also prefer the light color of the Edelux over the very cold one of the IQ X. In opposite to the IQ X the Exelux clearly has the best usability and the best mechanical quality - do run currently three, one first generation one and two second generation ones.
Be aware that you can buy the Edelux in a normal version, intended for the position near the front brake, but also in a hanging version that you can mount under the bars if you prefer that.

If you leave the range of lights compatible to German StVo Supernova offers the E3 triple3 which should be recognizably brighter than the legal ones. I do not have personal experience with it but know people that are convinced by it. There are also the k-lite Bikepacker Ultra and Bikepacker Pro from Australia which claim to be the brightest dynamo bike light (intended for MTB-use). Again, no personal experience.

Top Bottom