Outbound Lighting Road Edition for Brompton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I didn't find much info about SON Coaxial cable. My understanding is it's slimmer (one inside the other) and also connections to the hub have quick disconnect plugs. But I didn't understand what I'll need to order to have front (and if necessary rear) light to use coaxial cables. Could anyone elaborate?

berlinonaut

Veteran
"Normal" cables are two separate copper wires. The SON coax cable is - well - a coaxial cable where both phases do share a single housing. It is more flexlible and more robust and especially on a folder better as the cable will not break as easily. Also, in the meantime there are optionally more elegant connectors available for it than for "normal" cables. https://nabendynamo.de/en/products/wiring/ On the Brompton you would in most cases not use the quick-connector plugs. Still, from experience the cable is preferable over the "normal" ones.

It is clearly not necessary to use it, it just one of those things that are better than ordinary, make life easier, look better and are in the area of the last 20% to perfection, that many people don't care about while other people value it.

ExBrit

Über Member
SON tail light Black with clear lens doesn't seem to be available anywhere, on Bike24 it's out of stock.

Any experience with B&M Toplight Breake Plus? It seem to sense when hub slows down and increase brightness, that of Edelux II will still supply AC current to the rear.
I have both the brake and non-brake versions of the Toplight and I like them. I'm not sure the brake feature is that useful - a rider behind you will see the gap close before they register the light getting brighter. Although two cues are better than one. It is reasonably bright for a 0.6 Watt light with good all-round visibility. The reflector adds a lot to its visibility too. Stand light (with Edelux II) is above average in my experience.

I ride this in combination with a battery, daylight visible, tight spot, Cygolite tail light. The combination makes you visible to drivers behind you during the day and also visible from behind and the side at night. You can always turn the Cygolite solid and dim it at night if you are in a group. Or you can use it as an excuse to draft the pack because no-one wants to ride behind you ^_^

Kell

Veteran
WRT lights, I'm very much belt and braces.

In the past I've lost a back light (or two) over the years. So I always run two (for most of the reasons above). Loss or failure of one is mitigated by having a spare.

One the rear, I've actually got three (Belt, braces and an extra piece of string). As I also replaced the rear reflector for one with an integrated (battery) light.

Plus I have two of these - one mounted on the seatpost as shown, and they also do the same light but with a mounting system that attaches to the seat rails. They're great value too at less than £15. I remove them and charge them at work (USB Cable) so they're always charged for the home journey. I think I have about four now in total. They're great.

These glow more when you slow down and I've not lost one so far. (Picture is clickable and should take you to Amazon)

1639155105423.png

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

Decided to go with SON Rear dynamo light. What the heck, I'm already installing a hub and a front light, so why not hook up a rear light and forget about batteries. While my research I've seen some negative feedbacks regarding B&M rear light dying in users after 6-12 months. So decided to go with SON. It seems like it will come with coaxial cable already. Any tips on wiring back light? I'll mount it on a rack.

u_i

Über Member
B&M dying had been pretty straightforward. The backup capacitor was a bit heavy for the leads a broke off after a while. The fix was to open the light and solder the capacitor back. As I understand, B&M corrected the issue so those posts likely pertained to the lights bought earlier. I have a Toplight Line on the Brompton for long enough to state that it passed. The only issue I had was when I put a folded Brompton into a shower cabin to wash off a thick layer of mud and the upside down light got flooded. It lingered getting back to life, apparently slow to dry, but after a while it was all good.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

B&M dying had been pretty straightforward. The backup capacitor was a bit heavy for the leads a broke off after a while. The fix was to open the light and solder the capacitor back. As I understand, B&M corrected the issue so those posts likely pertained to the lights bought earlier. I have a Toplight Line on the Brompton for long enough to state that it passed. The only issue I had was when I put a folded Brompton into a shower cabin to wash off a thick layer of mud and the upside down light got flooded. It lingered getting back to life, apparently slow to dry, but after a while it was all good.

And SON Rear Light is water sealed and SON gives 5 year warranty on their products which tells me that lights they do are in different category quality wise. My understanding is that SON is alot smaller than B&M yet products they do have higher quality and are built like a tank. My idea is to set this whole dynamo light system up once and forget about it. That's why I'm following @berlinonaut advise and am sticking up with SON.

u_i

Über Member
And SON Rear Light is water sealed and SON gives 5 year warranty on their products which tells me that lights they do are in different category quality wise. My understanding is that SON is alot smaller than B&M yet products they do have higher quality and are built like a tank. My idea is to set this whole dynamo light system up once and forget about it. That's why I'm following @berlinonaut advise and am sticking up with SON.

I have no experience with the SON Rear Light, so I may be a bit overstretching here, but I think the issue is more complicated. When you deal with a housing you need to consider the issue of pressure difference between inside and outside. An opening allows for the pressures to even out. A way around it is to make the housing compact, so rigidity of the enclosure can cope with the pressure difference. However, for a light there is a price to pay as a more spread out light makes it easier for the viewer to assess the distance to the light. Also SON lacks a reflector that you need to bother with separately.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I have no experience with the SON Rear Light, so I may be a bit overstretching here, but I think the issue is more complicated. When you deal with a housing you need to consider the issue of pressure difference between inside and outside. An opening allows for the pressures to even out. A way around it is to make the housing compact, so rigidity of the enclosure can cope with the pressure difference. However, for a light there is a price to pay as a more spread out light makes it easier for the viewer to assess the distance to the light. Also SON lacks a reflector that you need to bother with separately.

Can't really say about pressure difference issue really but I know that body is CNC machined from aluminum slab and I can only assume it should cope with pressure difference. After all this is what these guys are doing for life - bike lights and hubs, so I assume they sorted it out. Another point is that water tight unit doesn't mean it's air tight as air molecules are smaller, so there might be a workaround to allow air to escape evening out the pressure while maintaining water tightness. Specially considering the light is not designed to be submerged so it's lower IP rating I assume.

Reflector is not an issue, my Brompton comes with rear reflector already which SON thoughtfully allows you to reuse adding this bracket for EUR 3.28

Last edited:

berlinonaut

Veteran
The SON rear light is definitively fire and forget and a beauty in terms of craftsmanship. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. It is indeed missing a reflector which you could include but honestly: With the SON lights I don't use one, neither on the front nor on the rear as these lights simply never stop working. So in my personal opinion no need for a reflector.
There is a way cheaper similar sized rear light available from BUMM, the Toplight line small: https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-rucklichter/parent/53234/produkt/53234ask.html?

It is however cheaply made and i managed to crack the mounting points already when mounting the light.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The red rear reflector is mandatory in the UK, as are pedal reflectors for bikes made from 1985 onwards. I admit this law is not particularly well-observed but it could give the defence a bit of ammunition after an accident.

u_i

Über Member
After all this is what these guys are doing for life - bike lights and hubs, so I assume they sorted it out.

I have a SON dynamo on a full size bike and have a personal connection to Schmidt Maschinenbau and do not doubt their professionalism. Still even the best in the field can slip - didn't Union fold because of the teething problems in the Schmidt designed dynamo that evolved with time into SON?

Reflector is not an issue, my Brompton comes with rear reflector already which SON thoughtfully allows you to reuse adding this bracket for EUR 3.28

View attachment 621536
That is nice.

So in my personal opinion no need for a reflector.

A reflector is a legal requirement in many countries. Isn't it the case in Germany? When a reflector is illuminated with bright car lights it is usually brighter than any powered bike light which I can attest riding in the dark behind others. In my experience it is imprudent to get out without one, even when having other light. It is an insurance, for one, that costs nothing in terms of weight.

Tenkaykev

Guru
I have a SON dynamo on a full size bike and have a personal connection to Schmidt Maschinenbau and do not doubt their professionalism. Still even the best in the field can slip - didn't Union fold because of the teething problems in the Schmidt designed dynamo that evolved with time into SON?

That is nice.

A reflector is a legal requirement in many countries. Isn't it the case in Germany? When a reflector is illuminated with bright car lights it is usually brighter than any powered bike light which I can attest riding in the dark behind others. In my experience it is imprudent to get out without one, even when having other light. It is an insurance, for one, that costs nothing in terms of weight.
Very much the rear reflectors. They are scattering back the light from the vehicles light source and as such are “free “ illumination for the cyclist.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

The SON rear light is definitively fire and forget and a beauty in terms of craftsmanship. Absolutely no issues whatsoever. It is indeed missing a reflector which you could include but honestly: With the SON lights I don't use one, neither on the front nor on the rear as these lights simply never stop working. So in my personal opinion no need for a reflector.
There is a way cheaper similar sized rear light available from BUMM, the Toplight line small: https://www.bumm.de/en/products/dynamo-rucklichter/parent/53234/produkt/53234ask.html?

It is however cheaply made and i managed to crack the mounting points already when mounting the light.

None of these are available in local market here in Turkey. So anything I order adds international shipping + import tax. Can't risk with lights going offline in a year, hence ordering the best quality I can.

OP
OP
C

CEBEP

I couldn't find much info about drag value of SON XS under load. As far as I know without load it's drag value is 0,7W. Assuming both front and back lights will load full 3W of electrical load on the dynamo what would the drag be?

Top Bottom