Outer Hebrides Audax Events in 2014

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

iandg

Legendary Member
I've added 3 new events to the Audax calendar for 2014. The first Audax rides to be organised in the Outer Hebrides.

There is a 300km on Saturday 5th July (Golden Roads and Standing Stones) going from Stornoway to the Butt of Lewis and onto the Golden Road and South Harris loop via Callanish Standing Stones.

A supporting 110km (Hebridean Hundred) on the Saturday goes from Stornoway to Carloway along the Pentland Road then up the west coast to Ness and returning to Stornoway.

On Sunday 6th July there will be a 200km (Outer Hebrides Island Hop). A days ride from Lewis visiting Great Bernera then heading to Harris and over the bridge to Scalpay before returning to Lewis.

A few pics from the reccy rides for the 200 and 300 can be seen here and here

Last edited:

edindave

Über Member
These look amazing. Added to wish list. Only prob is the clash with the TdF start in Yorkshire.

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Unfortunately with a Scottish Audax Calendar well booked into June and other island events that are happening throughout July August, i had to chance it with the Tour clash - a decision for some of you more southern residents, but I was not going to head to Yorkshire as I could probably get to France much easier.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It is an event I could realistically get fit for once more, so, I am really swithering about this! Swither because the TdF only comes to the UK every few years.....

What are the other island events by the way? I want to do it because I was on Harris and Lewis a few years back and would like to go back and see certain places again.
Are there any other similar events in that part of the world??

Last edited:

Angus444

Great pics! Definitely one to consider. Good time of year, too....

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
It is an event I could realistically get fit for once more, so, I am really swithering about this! Swither because the TdF only comes to the UK every few years.....

What are the other island events by the way? I want to do it because I was on Harris and Lewis a few years back and would like to go back and see certain places again.
Are there any other similar events in that part of the world??

The only other cycling event on the island is the Hebridean Cycle Challenge.

In this part of the world there are the Hands On Sportive series and the Quinag Quest another 300km audax

wicker man, just read your article in the Stornoway Gazette...totally gutted...heading down to first and possibly second stage of TDF.
I'm back on my my bike again(treated myself at Xmas to a new one)...fitness isn't like it was..I keep bumping into one and two road riders around Stornoway at the weekends. Is there any groups going out at the moment?....Del

OP
OP
iandg

iandg

Legendary Member
Not many chances to see the Tour in Britain but hopefully there's next year for an audax in Lewis.

The whole group thing tailed off over winter, but the wannabe racers are about to kick start the Wednesday evening bash again soon from Charlie Barleys at 5pm. Do you use FB? Check out Hebridean Cycle Club group if you do, that's where most discussion as to what's happening takes place (or pm me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the club e-mail group) - Ian

Last edited:
Not many chances to see the Tour in Britain but hopefully there's next year for an audax in Lewis.

The whole group thing tailed off over winter, but the wannabe racers are about to kick start the Wednesday evening bash again soon from Charlie Barleys at 5pm. Do you use FB? Check out Hebridean Cycle Club group if you do, that's where most discussion as to what's happening takes place (or pm me your e-mail address and I'll add you to the club e-mail group) - Ian

Cheers Ian,
Will check FB site, Del

Top Bottom