Outer Hebrides - May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HelenD123

Guru
I’ve reached Harris today day 2. A lovely tail wind since Vatersay ^_^ Camped at Horgabost and just had first shower of rain.
Respect for riding into a headwind here there is literally no shelter.
We just missed each other (or maybe we'd recognise each other!) I set off from Vatersay last Sunday and got to Stornoway on Thursday. Now in Inverness. There were so many cyclists on the islands. I can't believe how lucky we were with the weather after Mythste's experience.

OldShep

Über Member
I spoke too soon. The wind turned and the last 2 days have been hard. Relaxing in Heb Hostel Stornoway. Beer and food.
Looks like my easiest way home is to get back to Castlebay Oban ferry. I see the wind is back to Sw tomorrow. Tarbert will be far enough for tomorrow.
Circa 20 cyclists on every ferry you wonder where they all come from. A great ride but I’d turn after Callanish if I did it again

HelenD123

Guru
I turned left to Callanish on the way north, went to Doune broch then found a really quiet road across the island to Stornoway. I didn't go to the Butt. I had more of a head wind going to Garve on the mainland and the road surface was much slower. Very rainy in Inverness yesterday so glad I had a hotel.

OldShep

Über Member
I rode Stornoway to Tarbert on the Sunday and met a Dutch couple going towards Stornoway half way and the lady was desperate for coffee. Had to give her bad news nothing is open.
Tarbert was looking like an enforced diet as the Hotel Hebrides wasn’t doing food for non residents, the Harris Hotel was fully booked and rescue came from the pub next door which served food providing it was a Pizza.
I also took the Uig ferry next morning and rode across Skye to Armadale for the ferry. Road didn’t seem too bad and then by ten clock I reached Portree. Traffic increased by at least tenfold and I was relieved to take the right turn for the ferry. Skye is not on my return to list.
Took the train from Mallaig to Glasgow what an epic train journey.

Top Bottom