Outer Hebrides - May 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Epic.

Just waiting for the ferry over to the big isles as we speak. Wind considering we put two big days in to get to Berneray yesterday. We’ve got a day or two in hand so we intend on taking a couple of short days to enjoy things a bit more now the wind has died down a touch.
Jeez, that’s a lorra kit!!!

iandg

Legendary Member
You know that short day post earlier? Well that was bollocks.

47 miles up to a hostel just past Tabost as the temps are dropping substantially this evening.

Absolutely loved the hilly route over Harris, sweet relief from the wind.

More wine.

Harris is lovely. Unfortunately (as close as I am), I don't make it down there often enough.

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Jeez, that’s a lorra kit!!!

There’s a lot of weather! I know I’ve taken a lot but I’m happy riding slow and heavy. I’ve managed to use everything at least once so far.

We’re in Shawbost today. Abandoned the ride to the butt and have no shame in saying so, the wind is just too much.

South to Stornoway tomorrow, Tarbert the day after then three days on Skye.

Naturally the winds going to do a 180 and we’ll be doing all that into a headwind too :laugh:

HelenD123

Legendary Member
You've been seriously unlucky with the wind. I was relieved to see it turning in a favourable direction for my trip from the weekend.

Naturally the winds going to do a 180 and we’ll be doing all that into a headwind too :laugh:
I dunno where you're going on Skye but generally it's more sheltered than the Outer Hebrides. I mean, it has trees for a start. The Outer Hebrides, Orkneys and probably the Shetlands, I wouldn't know I haven't been there, are in a different league for block headwinds.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...

:-)
But was it fully loaded front and back with camping gear?

rualexander

Legendary Member
Yes.

1020270-01.jpeg

OP
OP
mythste

mythste

Veteran
Well!

That was horrible, cold, wet, brutal winds averaged about 6mph over 300ish miles.

But I'd go again tomorrow if the opportunity arose.

I'll try and do a full write up with pictures sometime soon, but for those of you who are within reach of those bastard/wonderful islands - I urge you to visit.

iandg

Legendary Member
I’ve reached Harris today day 2. A lovely tail wind since Vatersay ^_^ Camped at Horgabost and just had first shower of rain.
Respect for riding into a headwind here there is literally no shelter.

Those my winds have been part of my cycling life for the last 21 years. 2nd van loaded up today, something about this place that I'm not going to miss.

Last edited:
Top Bottom