Oval chainrings???

Discussion in 'Components, Accessories and Clothing' started by The happy cyclist, 15 Aug 2019.

1. The happy cyclist

The happy cyclist Regular

Anyone have experience with oval chainrings?? I’ve come across them when shopping online and some swear that they are better because of the power in the legs aren’t consistent! Some say that they are no benefit whatsoever!!:wacko:

2. Cycleops

Cycleops Guru

They've been around for a long time and were normalised in the nineties by Shimano with their Biopace chain sets. I've used them but can't say I noticed any difference but try them and see if you can.

The happy cyclist likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

Ya I might see in time there not very expensive anyway so maybe the next time I’m servicing my bike I might throw a set on and see!

4. meta lon

meta lon Guru

I use them on my xc bike, i like them and i do believe they help on ups.
    Feel a bit odd at first but only for a few mins, well for me anyway

Threevok likes this.
  5. Ffoeg

Ffoeg .

I use them on my MTBs where smoothness of pedaling on the uphills helps with traction, especially at lower speeds. Not sure if that would translate to road bikes it's not such an issue

6. I like Skol

I like Skol Hold my beer and watch this....

Been around (see what I did there :whistle:) since forever and pushed by various suppliers, including Shimano for a while in the late 80's early 90's. I think on paper, or in theory, they might make sense but in practice this probably amounts to nothing due to the way our non-machine bodies work, which likely negates all the possible advantages in the real world. If they were that effective then they would dominate the chain ring world rather than being the tiny side chapter that they have been for most of cycling history. Don't waste your money.

Adam4868, Milzy and The happy cyclist like this.
  7. Venod

Venod Eh up

The Shimano Biopace ones had the timing wrong :wacko: the Absolute Black rings are different giving better advantage on the power stroke, I have some Biopace on an old MTB, I have indexed them to be more usefull.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A557LYuFkSM

8. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

I stopped watching the video at the point where he suggested rotating the ring 180° relative to the 5-arm spider ...

Milzy and Drago like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    The happy cyclist

Great point there

10. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

There are several different types of oval chainring, with the axis inclined in different positions in relation to the cranks on each, so the answer to your question will depend on which type you're eyeing up.

11. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Indeed,and even if one was able to do so it solves nothing as it simply puts it in phase with the other leg... but as they're intended to be in phase with each leg in turn they're bilaterally symmetrical so you'd be actually returning it to normal.

I like Skol likes this.
  12. midlife

midlife Guru

Been around for years, the ones used on a fixed bike have to be elliptical :smile:

I like Skol likes this.
  13. Venod

Venod Eh up

14. Poacher

Poacher Gravitationally challenged member

Never used them, but I have a further question; do they make the position and operation of the front derailleur rather problematic?

The happy cyclist likes this.
  15. Pedropete

Pedropete Über Member

Raced XC on Biopace in the 90s and didn't do my knees any favours. Been running a 42t Absolute Black direct-mount on my Tripster for 12 months and honestly couldn't say if it makes any difference. Looks pretty though.

To be fair, I rode a lot in my teens and 20s and developed a reasonably solid pedalling style as a result so it's possible that someone with a non-race/more relaxed entry to cycling may notice more benefit. Who knows.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice