Oval This Morning (28 May) - Witnesses Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi. I'm alive. That's the good news.

However, there was a series of incidents which took place on my commute that involved the Police and a trip to A&E for me (no lasting injuries, it seems).

It all took place between the Oval Junction A3 Clapham Rd crossing A202 Camberwell New Road, and the turning of Kennington Park Place northbound about 0815 onwards this morning

A number of cyclists were witnesses to one or other part of the events, but, as I was dealing with an unstable cabbie at the time, I was unable to take details. I would like to thank all those who stopped to help, check I was OK, and the chap who kindly picked up my bike and carefully leaned it against some railings.

If you saw any of the following, I (and the Police) would be keen to hear from you:

1. Taxi sideswiping me on the junction (I was not knocked off, but was injured)

2. Taxi driver getting abusive after being stopped

3. Taxi driver hitting me and grabbing my bike, throwing it to the gutter while I was on the phone to the emergency services

4. Taxi driver yelling at me to disrupt the emergency call

5. Taxi driver attempting to drive away from the collision, apparently happy to run me over in the attempt.

6. Taxi driver's second assault of me.

When I left the scene, the Police were still considering whether to arrest the driver. I have not been able to be in touch for an update.

Please PM me your contact details if you can help.

I'm not going to say more online just now (though I am posting this request in other fora) because I am determined these crimes will be prosecuted.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Glad to hear you are ok, that taxi driver sounds a right tosspot

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
yep, +1 to what 4F said. Glad you are ok and here's hoping for a satisfactory resolution. The roads are best rid of nutters like that.

Origamist

Legendary Member
Clarion, I often see you on my commute and I'm sorry to hear about this. I was running late today and came through the aftermath of the incident (the police were still at the junction with Kennington Park Place), but I did not see you, as I would have stopped if I had.

I now film my rides, but I doubt the footage from this morning will be of much use as I went through the junction 20 mins or so after the incident. That said, if you want to see the film, pm me.

I hope you feel better soon and I'll say hi the next time I see you.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Might be worth seeing the footage from later in your ride, in case you caught up the driver. This often happens with my ride, despite me not riding in most rush hours.

GrasB

Veteran
clarion, that sounds nasty & awful treatment by a 'professional' driver. I'm glad you're reasonably okay & I hope your injuries heal quickly.

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Origamist said:
Clarion, I often see you on my commute and I'm sorry to hear about this. I was running late today and came through the aftermath of the incident (the police were still at the junction with Kennington Park Place), but I did not see you, as I would have stopped if I had.

I now film my rides, but I doubt the footage from this morning will be of much use as I went through the junction 20 mins or so after the incident. That said, if you want to see the film, pm me.

I hope you feel better soon and I'll say hi the next time I see you.

Hi. I wonder if I know you by a different name, but you certainly know me. I was in an ambulance after a while, but we left before the cabbie did. Your footage may be useful, just for info at least. Thanks. :smile:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Clarion, so sorry to hear about this, hope you are ok and not shaken by this tosspot of a human being.

I took the loud bike today so didnt take the oval as I usually do around that time. DAMN!!

good luck with the legal proceedings.

Matthames

Über Member
I am glad you are ok and I hope the police throw the book at this nutter. I had something similar happen on Tuesday with a psycho van driver threaten to do me in with his hammer, as a result I am now getting a helmet camera to record what happens.

Origamist

Legendary Member
clarion said:
Hi. I wonder if I know you by a different name, but you certainly know me. I was in an ambulance after a while, but we left before the cabbie did. Your footage may be useful, just for info at least. Thanks. :smile:

I'm not sure we've met, but I know you by sight. My ugly mug appears about 40secs into this vid (I'm in the garish blue shorts on the fixed):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqSDEtwdxNw&feature=player_embedded

I'll check the footage when I get home and post a link.

The stretch from Oval to Kennington is shoot - I've had problems over the years. Here's hoping the re-design ameliorates things for cyclists.

Camgreen

Clarion, don't know this stretch of road at all; suppose it's too much to hope there was any strategically placed cctv cameras?

Apologies if I've missed something in your posting but do I take it the police didn't manage to talk to the driver before he left the scene?

Sounds a nasty incident, glad you seem to have come away from it relatively unscathed.

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Sorry, maybe I didn't make that clear. I managed to detain the driver (with the help of some other cyclists, at least one of whom took photos on his phone) till the Police arrived. He & his passenger were questioned for a long time.

Top Bottom