Oval This Morning (28 May) - Witnesses Needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Origamist said:
I'm not sure we've met, but I know you by sight. My ugly mug appears about 40secs into this vid (I'm in the garish blue shorts on the fixed):

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqSDEtwdxNw&feature=player_embedded

I'll check the footage when I get home and post a link.

The stretch from Oval to Kennington is shoot - I've had problems over the years. Here's hoping the re-design ameliorates things for cyclists.

Not sure why you know me, but that's OK. :smile: Maybe it's the Clarion jersey I sometimes wear, or the Clarion CC logo on the top tube of my Orbit.

I'm no good with faces, but I do recognise regular bikes. What do you ride? I'll try to make a point of saying Hi if I can keep up with you.

Origamist

Legendary Member
clarion said:
Not sure why you know me, but that's OK. :smile: Maybe it's the Clarion jersey I sometimes wear, or the Clarion CC logo on the top tube of my Orbit.

I'm no good with faces, but I do recognise regular bikes. What do you ride? I'll try to make a point of saying Hi if I can keep up with you.

You're the only guy I see on my commute who wears a YACF jersey, has a clarion head badge and goes under the username clarion. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but even my powers of deduction can cope with 2+2+2= 6;)

I ride a blue Charge Plug with a Carradice SQR tour bag and Brooks saddle. I'll introduce myself next time...

Take it easy and best of luck with the Met... Vik's police statement template sticky might be worth checking on this board.

Jezston

Über Member
clarion said:
Hi. I'm alive. That's the good news.

However, there was a series of incidents which took place on my commute that involved the Police and a trip to A&E for me (no lasting injuries, it seems).

It all took place between the Oval Junction A3 Clapham Rd crossing A202 Camberwell New Road, and the turning of Kennington Park Place northbound about 0815 onwards this morning

A number of cyclists were witnesses to one or other part of the events, but, as I was dealing with an unstable cabbie at the time, I was unable to take details. I would like to thank all those who stopped to help, check I was OK, and the chap who kindly picked up my bike and carefully leaned it against some railings.

If you saw any of the following, I (and the Police) would be keen to hear from you:

1. Taxi sideswiping me on the junction (I was not knocked off, but was injured)

2. Taxi driver getting abusive after being stopped

3. Taxi driver hitting me and grabbing my bike, throwing it to the gutter while I was on the phone to the emergency services

4. Taxi driver yelling at me to disrupt the emergency call

5. Taxi driver attempting to drive away from the collision, apparently happy to run me over in the attempt.

6. Taxi driver's second assault of me.

When I left the scene, the Police were still considering whether to arrest the driver. I have not been able to be in touch for an update.

Please PM me your contact details if you can help.

I'm not going to say more online just now (though I am posting this request in other fora) because I am determined these crimes will be prosecuted.

Crikey, that sounds horrible. What did the driver do exactly?

Camgreen

clarion said:
Sorry, maybe I didn't make that clear. I managed to detain the driver (with the help of some other cyclists, at least one of whom took photos on his phone) till the Police arrived. He & his passenger were questioned for a long time.

Good work in the circumstances hanging on to him. Sounds like enough evidence,at the very least, to have his taxi permit/ licence revoked .... you'd certainly hope so anyway. You have to be optimistic the police have enough to press charges too

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
Origamist said:
You're the only guy I see on my commute who wears a YACF jersey, has a clarion head badge and goes under the username clarion. I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but even my powers of deduction can cope with 2+2+2= 6;)

Guilty. That's me :smile:

I ride a blue Charge Plug with a Carradice SQR tour bag and Brooks saddle. I'll introduce myself next time...

Ah. I think I know who you are. And I think you're faster than me. I'll try to be sociable in future.

Take it easy and best of luck with the Met... Vik's police statement template sticky might be worth checking on this board.

Not seen that, but I'll check it out, thanks.

Jezston

Über Member
clarion said:
Hope you don't think I'm being rude if I don't say just for the moment. Don't want to do anything to upset the prospect of prosecution for the scummer.

Fair enough - hope it all gets quickly sorted!

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Clarion, glad to hear your okish. Best of luck getting anywhere with this scumbag!

Eek! That sounds horrific! :biggrin: :biggrin: I hope you physically and mentally heal quickly from this and that the driver gets what he truly deserves. :wacko::angry:

Keep up to date with what happens. Obviously if it goes to prosecution the details you can share will be limited.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Crikey............

You handled it well...I may have planted the guy's face in his bonnet. Good place to try is a post on Bike Radar's Commuting Forum, or LFGSS.... lots of Londoners frequenting them.

OP
OP
clarion

clarion

Guru
fossyant said:
Crikey............

You handled it well...I may have planted the guy's face in his bonnet. Good place to try is a post on Bike Radar's Commuting Forum, or LFGSS.... lots of Londoners frequenting them.

I'm not sure I did handle it very well. I was a bit scared and got shoutier than I should have done. :biggrin:

But most of it will be on tape :wacko:

I've posted on CTC, yacf, here, and a friend has posted on LFGSS. I've forgotten my login for Bikeradar, but I'll sort that out tomorrow. Other folk have posted on local cycle forums/mailing lists. I'm hopeful someone will step forward.

This is shocking.....Unfortunately all I see now is peoples lack of manners out there and lack of care...so this does not surprise me any more.

Hope it gets sorted Clarion.Hope you and bike are ok...:biggrin:

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Crikey Clarion, just read this. Hope you're ok and this is sorted out. Makes me wonder whats going on with people lately, everyone seems to be going nuts, even down here, lately.

Top Bottom