Over Charged?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
I didn't mention that the outer tyre was a marathon + and my cheap tyre levers weren't up to the job! Hopefully it isn't an experience I will be repeating soon.

sabian92

Über Member
I didn't mention that the outer tyre was a marathon + and my cheap tyre levers weren't up to the job! Hopefully it isn't an experience I will be repeating soon.

Get some decent levers and you'll spend that only once, rather than every time.

I have the same tyres - I've done it although it does take a while to get the knack, once you can do it you'll never pay for it again. Worthwhile skill to have as well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Get some decent levers and you'll spend that only once, rather than every time.

I have the same tyres - I've done it although it does take a while to get the knack, once you can do it you'll never pay for it again. Worthwhile skill to have as well.
spoons from the kitchen drawer is what we used in the good old days :smile:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I was charged £16 for a tube on the Brompton.

It was the back wheel, which I'm told can be a fiddle to remove and replace.

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Has any one paid more than £11.50 to have an inner tube replaced? The wheel had be removed from the bike and there was nothing fancy about it.

Sounds dear to me, but you do live in the South. :whistle:
Four years or so ago, I had urgent need of a new tyre: my evening commute had just started when my rear tyre split with a bang that made nearby pedestrians evacuate. I half-carried the bike to my nearest LBS*, got there just after closing time, saw the staff getting ready to leave and put on my most piteous expression. Bless 'em, they opened the shop, sold me a new tyre and charged nowt for fitting it, even though I would have been happy enough to fit it myself outside. The mechanic's face was a picture when he went to put the wheel back - not only was it a 130mm OLN hub in a 126mm frame, it was also a wheel I'd deliberately built under-dished, so it didn't fit centrally! To my shame, I tipped him a quid - it should have been 2 at least!

* plug for Freewheel, Hockley, Nottingham.

OP
OP
beatlejuice

beatlejuice

Gently does it...
A p*ncture, on a Marathon plus..?

Yes indeed, caused by a four inch nail. Straight through the tread and out the side wall.

DiddlyDodds

Random Resident
I don't think you were overcharged based on what I paid to get my LBS to move a cassette over to a new wheel (I'd just bought off them) however I think everyone above is right- learn to do it yourself and save a mint!

If they charged you for that you need to find another shop.

Peteaud

Veteran
To those who think its expensive, do a little homework.

Find a small shop in your area that is vacant and find out how much per year the rent, rates, water, electric cost. Get a quote for public liability insurance, burgular alarm and stock insurance.

Now all that has to be paid before you have paid yourself, oh and what about the stock?

A friend of mine runs a small shop, his rates are £7k a year, the rent is over £9K

Look at the high street, its full of empty shops, do you really think an £11.50 sale will make him rich?

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
If they charged you for that you need to find another shop.
Unfortunately we did have 3 in our town and I supported one religiously, it and one of the others folded and now we have the one- so I can pay £2.50 extra for the privilege of them doing it or drive 9 miles to the next nearest!

Top Bottom