Over-complicated digital cameras - rant.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have owned a Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-7 for about a year and I quite like it. However it has functions and controls I will never use; I don't even know what the joystick button is for. Why can't somebody make a simple, robust outdoor use digital camera but spend the money on about 8mp, a fantastic lens and not much more than the few simple functions, which used to be sufficient when we used 35mm? My only real requirement is a wide zoom range because I take lots of landscapes and I like the compressing effect of a zoom. Oh, and a camera that's compact, lightweight and robust.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've got the fz-8 and it's a fine camera. there's a heart icon on the settings wheel that is the "just point and shoot" setting. too simple imho, and i didn't want to shoot everything at full res before i got a 2gb card from costco.

andygates

RR, you're saying "why doesn't someone make a camera just for me?"

I could say the same with a different set of settings ("idiot snap" and a good macro, please) - and so could the rest of the market. Retooling for all those special simple cameras would be an arse and they'd cost just as much (they'd probably just cripple the extras in software...)

Stop complaining. Or get a Holga.

I've recently got a DSLR: as I have a few (3) of manual Nikon fit lenses, I'm getting a lightmeter to use the thing in fully manual mode, and my sharp prime lenses. Apart from using the kit AF lens (which is plastic, and far too cumbersome) for snap-shots in auto/lazy mode:smile: My old Nikon F is much better ergonomically, so I'll just emulate that!

The joystick on the DMC FZ 7 is for focussing it when you turn the auto focus off, and for setting the shutter speed and apeture in manual exposure mode. It's not very user friendly. I used mine like that, then bought a DSLR which is much easier to use. If you can afford it, and are into photography enough, I'd recommend a Nikon D200 or similar. Much more like an old style 35mm camera, believe it or not.

Maz

Guru
I've got a Canon Powershot. It's idiot-proof for me and gives nice pix. Has a whole bunch of rotary settings (dimlight/portraits etc) which I've never ever used.

I have a Kodak V550, its got 20 or so quick settings (modes) and these can be customised even further to get the perfect picture. To tell the truth though, I just use it in default setting 'auto' :evil:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Maz said:
I've got a Canon Powershot. It's idiot-proof for me and gives nice pix. Has a whole bunch of rotary settings (dimlight/portraits etc) which I've never ever used.

Yeah, same here, sort of - I had a canon, loved it but it fell off a chair and broke. I got a little Samsung, which is OK, although there are a couple of annoyances - but I still only use the point and shoot - and I get some really nice pics - I've started to make a point of sometimes getting arty shots purely through point and shoot, so it's mostly in the composition.... I haven't a clue how to do anything else!

I find all this very reassuring as I've got a Sony Cybershot which is crawling with features that I don't use. If they get switched on by accident, I have to get the manual out to find out how to switch them off.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
Arch said:
Yeah, same here, sort of - I had a canon, loved it but it fell off a chair and broke. I got a little Samsung, which is OK, although there are a couple of annoyances - but I still only use the point and shoot - and I get some really nice pics - I've started to make a point of sometimes getting arty shots purely through point and shoot, so it's mostly in the composition.... I haven't a clue how to do anything else!

indeed, the composition is important above all, as it's the hardest thing to fix in photoshop. helps if it's in focus too.

Haitch

Flim Flormally
Like Maz, I've got a Canon Powershot. Mine's a G7; it has the same processor as the bigger Canon DSLRs and nearly all the manual settings. The updated version, the G9, even has RAW. Excellent bit of kit that is compact in size.

Top Bottom